Big Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Newbie Here

Hey guys, im new to here and to bikes in general. my dad had this bike as long as i can remember, and im 20 years old, he doesnt even member the year of it. but its a gs450L, its been sittin in his garage for nearly 10 years, is it even possible to get the thing to start after all that time??? if so, where can i learn all that i can about taking it apart and puttin it back together correctly? i wanna learn as much as i can about the bike and how to adjust it for better use. please help me out!!!

Greetings Joker!You have come to the right place.If these guys can't help you no-one can!Check out the Search facility,you can usually find answers to your probs with that,but if you get stuck post the problem here.Somebody's bound to know the answer!

Comment

Welcome to the GSR, glad to have you. If you are unacquainted with bikes, then to get a general idea of how things are put together and work, the best way to make some quick progress is to buy a clymer or Haynes manual for your bike and actually start at page 1 and read the whole thing. That isnt going to answer all your possible questions, but it will help a lot and also make it easier to describe any problems you may encounter.

Yes, your bike can be made good as new again. Its a matter of how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yo newbie! Welcome!

First step, make this site your homepage, and make EBay one of your favorites. Next, use EBay to get yourself a shop manual. Change the oil, get a cheap battery, drain the old gas out of the tank and carb float bowls, refill with new gas and see if she fires up. She'll probably run like poo, so you'll need to go through the carbs. We can help.

let us know how you make out!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

no credit card

hey guys, i dont have a credit card for the stuff on ebay, otherwise, i woulda spent too much on that already.

Comment

Welcome. These guys have helped me with a lot of good advise. You'll learn alot. As for Ebay, its hard to get by without it. A lot of sellers take money orders, so you should have no problems there. I even found a Suzuki factory service manual on Ebay cheap.
            And as for getting your bike on the road again, my GS450L was well taken care of but almost on its way to being parted out. A little effort and some help from these guys helped keep it alive.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
            X