High heat paint for the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High heat paint for the exhaust

I have two types of high heat paint that I have yet to use. Both were bought for different applications. One is gloss and one is flat and they are different brands. The flat says I have to either bake it in an oven at 650 (where can I find an oven that goes to 650) or install the exhaust and run it for an hour (yes, it's specifically exhaust paint). The gloss doesn't say anything about heat treating it. Just apply and it's done. It's not specific exhaust paint and is rated for 500 degrees. First, can anyone share thier experience with high heat spraypaint for an exhaust? How did it come out? Did it last? Also, is the 500 degree paint ok for exhaust? the manifolds and header can't get hotter than that, right? Finally, do you think the heat treated brand would produce a better, more lasting finish?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I used flat black Grill paint. Got the idea here when I first got my bike. It looks good and has held up. It needs another coat, it's been 6 months and the rust is coming back thru by the head. Still looks good though.

Earl has his looking real spiffy. He said he used a 3 part acrylic? auto paint. His is glossy, I thought it was the black chrome, but it was paint.

Comment

I've never been able to make the spray bombs last. Nothing beats having it professionally done. Sure it costs, but it lasts.

Paul
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Lets talk more about this.
        I just put a new/used pipe on 1000e. While I know ceramic is the way to go, I don't want to cut loose of the coin.

I want ALL info you guys have on heat paint. I have a blasting cabinet and just enough know how to finish something up.

Again all info welcome, brands of paint tecnique etc etc

Ric

Comment

I have painted my old pipe several times with heat paint. It has been a few years so I can't give you specific details about the paint type other than it was a spray can. I have since bought a new pipe and the old one sits on a shelf.

I always hand sanded except for the last time where I sand blasted it before painting. It usually looks good for a season or two. I don't recall the paint ever flaking off it just began to get a little rusty here and there. If you have a sand blaster thats the way to go. If there was a heat primer available I would have used that first for sure.

I will be sending out my old pipe sometime in the future for the ceramic coating. I will let you know how it comes out then.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Re: High heat paint for the exhaust

The header pipes at the exhaust ports reach 1100 degrees F. They will burn off 500 degree heat paint in a mattter of minutes. :-) I have tried about every kind of heat paint including the new spray on ceramic base and although it lasts the best, it only lasts looking good for about a month.

For the muffler and up to the slip joint fitting, I painted mine with Dupont Imron. Its a three part automotive and aircraft paint sold at auto paint stores. It will tolerate 300 deg or so, and the mufflers dont get close to that temp, so it will last indifinitely. The mufflers have to be wire brushed or sanded with #600 grit, clean and absolutely oil free. The paint is so sensitive to oily contamination, you can not paint out a fingerprint if you touch the pipe. PPG Concept is another multi part paint that will work very well. U.S. Paint Awlgrip is probably the best and hardest drying, but it is also the most expensive. I paint my gas tanks with Awlgrip and nothing has any effect on it once cured. It just laughs at acetone, gasoline, acid and paint remover. :-) You will also break off fingernails trying to scratch it. eh eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
            I have two types of high heat paint that I have yet to use. Both were bought for different applications. One is gloss and one is flat and they are different brands. The flat says I have to either bake it in an oven at 650 (where can I find an oven that goes to 650) or install the exhaust and run it for an hour (yes, it's specifically exhaust paint). The gloss doesn't say anything about heat treating it. Just apply and it's done. It's not specific exhaust paint and is rated for 500 degrees. First, can anyone share thier experience with high heat spraypaint for an exhaust? How did it come out? Did it last? Also, is the 500 degree paint ok for exhaust? the manifolds and header can't get hotter than that, right? Finally, do you think the heat treated brand would produce a better, more lasting finish?
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'll go into a little more detail- my Mac pipe is ceramic coated and is holding up really nice, except where the crappy Mac exhaust flanges have bent and nicked up the flange seats on the pipe. The flanges themselves are all rusty too. I want to clean it up and realize it won't be perfect, but as long as it looks good...
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

VHT sells high heat paint with ceramic base that is said to stand up to 1500 degrees. a friend of mine painted a set of headers with it, the paint job came out nice but he has yet to install them on his car, so i dont know how long it will last. I found this website that lists the colors that they have. I believe my friend picked up flat white from NAPA. good luck

Comment

With all the crap on the roads here in SW Ontario Canada my pipes get almost sandblasted from road grit after a couple of thousand Kms.

Paul
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

paint

I have used VHT for years with good luck in all colors you can do the head pipes in your oven at 450degrees for an hour this sets the paint so it is some what chemical proof, other wise it just wipes off with gas or lacq. thinner, you have to do it in layers about five or 6 thin coats works best, then bake and if you want it to really last you do the process 2 times, this will help prevent rapid rusting. its not as good as the catalized paint but its a heck of alot cheaper

Comment

I have a friend that used to work for a ceramic tile company. One of the things the company made was sidewalk tiles. For heavy pedestrian traffic and daily wear from shoes and sand/grit, the company coated the tiles with clear Awlgrip. It lasted much longer than the clear ceramic glaze they previously baked on. Its perfect for mufflers and slip joint fittings. Not for headers close to the exhaust ports though.

Earl

Originally posted by nastyjones
                      With all the crap on the roads here in SW Ontario Canada my pipes get almost sandblasted from road grit after a couple of thousand Kms.

Paul
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sounds like I am screwed for the exhaust flanges.

Cheap Mac exhaust flanges
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

BBQ grill paint works well, I done mine a year ago & still looking good It has not burnt or flaked off like the high temp paints did after a few months

Comment

i have a can of rustoleum hight temp paint sez it's good up to 1200 degrees i am debating about useing, anyone have any feed back about it.

ryan
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Anyone ever use that exhaust wrap tape? I was hoping to find some black, maybe that's my answer.

Anyone ever fabricate some kind of cover for the header flanges?

I'm at a loss as to how to make this look nice.
                              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X