No announcement yet.

High heat paint for the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jethro, firstimer, use the grill paint. It looks really good. Trust me. I looked a bit closer at my headers and they are just getting faded after 7 months. Still look good. I just masked of the area around and sprayed them good. Did a couple of coats and looked good. Not as nice as Earls, but for less than $4, it will last for quite a while. I know that several people on here have done it because that's where I got the idea. I'm going to do mine again in a few weeks.

I'm at a loss as to how to make this look nice.

Comment

Anyone ever use that exhaust wrap tape? I was hoping to find some black, maybe that's my answer.
      yes. they make 'smoke' colored wrap, but the key is using black header wrap coating, which I used to seal the wrap. The stuff has been great so far...and it covered the assy look of my cheaply painted pipes.

I've had ZERO luck with painting exhaust with high temp paint. I've done it at least 3-4 times now, with different pipes, and they still rust. I touch up the pipe occasionally now when it starts rusting again..but haven't had to mess with the head pipes since I put the wrap on last winter.

~Adam

Comment

PJ1 used to make a high temp exhaust paint- I have used it twice in the past on my Competition Series V+H pipe- it was a flat black color and lasted several thousand miles before starting to fade. It had to be ordered thru the local cycle shop.

If I reuse the the same V+H pipe on my current rebuild I am going to spend the $ and have it ceramic coated. Good Luck, Ed.
        1983 GS750ED

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Anyone ever use that exhaust wrap tape? I was hoping to find some black, maybe that's my answer.

Anyone ever fabricate some kind of cover for the header flanges?

I'm at a loss as to how to make this look nice.
          There was a topic about the tape a while back. Some mentioned that they look good on the outside but hold moisture, accelerating the corrosion process. I wouldn't know personally, but that one thread was enough to steer me off tape.

Comment

I would pay the cash to have the ceramic recoated, but the exhaust flanges are so week, they are just going to bend again and crack the ceramic coating again.

This Mac pipe is awesome except for the exhaust flanges. Can a muffler shop put new heavy duty flanges on there?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I bet you could remove the old flanges and use some split flanges. With split flanges each pipe would have a 2 piece flange so the flange fits together around the pipe. There was a post a while back with a link to split flanges. I don't think is was motorcycle header specific but I am sure you could have something custom made if a universal could not be found that fits.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

mentioned that they look good on the outside but hold moisture, accelerating the corrosion process.
                This is the purpose of using the header wrap coating, as I mentioned. It keeps the water off!

Comment

I used the rust-o-leom grill spray paint and the brush on. I found that the spray worked very well. I was very pleased. The brush on is rated at a lower temp. I thought it would high enough but it wasn't as soon as the exhaust started to heat up it peeled right off.
                  Additionally, be careful, I broke an exhaust bolt off taking the exhaust off. drill and tap time.

Comment

paint

Hi Jethro, on my gs 750e everytime i had to do oil change I had to take the exhaust off to get to the filter, at that time I went to home depote and got thier spray paint made to resist heat I scuffed the exhaust with scuff pads and spray about two to three coats it worked fine until next oil change.

ard

Comment

on my gs 750e everytime i had to do oil change I had to take the exhaust off to get to the filter
                      uhhhhh :x

Comment

The stock exhaust allows filter access- some aftermarket pipes, like my V+H competition series, do not and do require head pipe removal for filter access. I use anti-sieze compound on the header bolts and have never broken one to date. Ride on, Ed
                        1983 GS750ED

Comment

Luckly my Mac pipe allows me access to the oil filter.

Unfortunately I have bent the crap out of my exhaust flanges and they are rusting away. They work fine but look nasty.

I'm currently looking into the split flanges. I just would hate to have cut away the existing flanges and not have the split flanges work right.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Besides having pipes coated, I have used the BBQ grill paint. It works pretty good. I always blast them first and paint before they re-rust.

That pipe tape will REALLY make em rust!!

Mike

Comment

I have a 1983 Tempter with rusty pipes

I was stored outside in Wisconsin summer and winters for 5 years, unprotected. So, there is a lot of surface rust. The chrome is rusty, but I took some 0000 steel wool to it and that all cleaned up. The problem is the pipes from where they meet the engine to the secondary pipes are completly covered in rust.

I've been able to scrub at them with a 'brillo' pad that we used at a metal shop where I once worked to clean off the major rust, then work down from 400 grit to 2000 sand paper to get a fairly shiney pipe.

I know the answer is to get them rechromed but it's beyond my budget at the moment.

There is some rust on the surface of the frame, but it's not deep and I will during the winter pull the bike apart and repaint the frame.

Any ideas on how else to clean up or make the exhaust pipes look good is appreciated!
                              Any ideas on

Comment

Working...
                              X