Drilling Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling Holes

This 80 GS750L I am rebuilding with CV carbs has welsh (?) plugs installed over where I believe the carb. idle mixture screws are. (At least that's where they are on my 82 850G). Can I just drill out the plugs to access the screws for carb. syncronization? Am I correct to assume there are mixture screws under the plugs?

Thanks In Advance to the "GS GURU's"

OK

You be right on this one, drill the plugs in the center, put a piece of rubber tubing over the drill bit if useing a hand drill so you don't go to deep, just enough so you can start a sheet metal screw in the hole and get about 3 to 4 threads into it then use a slide hammer or a pair of vise grips to wiggle them out, you can also use a hammer on the jaws of the vise grips and tap them out just think about what your doing and you will have no problems

Comment

OK, thanks.
      I suspected that but didn't want to go "Drilling Holes" with out knowing for sure. I have drilled out carbruetors on cars for the same purpose. (OPPS, was that out loud?)

I bought one of those carb tune syncronizers and am anxious to try it out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut
        OK, thanks.
        I suspected that but didn't want to go "Drilling Holes" with out knowing for sure. I have drilled out carburetors on cars for the same purpose. (OPPS, was that out loud?)

I bought one of those carb tune syncronizers and am anxious to try it out.

Thanks again.
        you are going to want to soak the bleed air (that is the name) screws with a good penetrating oil (wd 40) as those screws tend to freeze up after sitting for so long, and the threads are very fine pitch so it is easy to strip them or the heads.

Comment

Be very carefull drilling you only want to go down about 1/8"

Comment

Working...
          X