carb Jet settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb Jet settings

as far as the larger jet size does that go on the inside cyl numbers 2 and 3 and the outside cylers 1 and 4 get the smaller size. Why would the hotter cyls need more gas?

I think you might have it backwards. The outer cyls need more gas because the inner two burn the fuel hotter and more effeciently (maybe???). All I know is that the outer two cyls should have a little bit higher vacumm during a carb synch- I always assumed that was why.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

the inner two cylinders will be slightly richer to stave off detonation. The cooler outter cylinders can run a leaner mixture without detonating.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

So if the previous owner had the jets switched (which is what I found) could this cause a problem machanicaly ie valves burning

Comment

Some models come with a step richer mains in the middle cylinders to help them run cooler.
          If yours were reversed, then it's possible you could burn the valves. The mains supply fuel at 3/4 throttle and more. So the bike would have had to been ridden at high speeds for a while to burn the valves. Possible, but I would suspect the tappet clearances are too tight before blaming the main jetting.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X