r/r: replace now or later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r/r: replace now or later

As far as I know, the charging system on my '81 GS650G is OK. I have however been reading that the regulator set-up is very prone to failing and melting the stator.

The question I have is: Would it be wise to relpace the stock r/r with the Electrx r/r now before I have a problem with the stator? Should I replace them together? Or should I just leave it alone till there is a problem?

I'd rather replace the r/r now and not have to get a new stator later but am I being over cautious?

I would save my money and get a can of electrical connector cleaner. Clean all of the wiring harness connectors, ride and enjoy the bike. That's what I do with mine. If the R/r or stator go bad i'll replace them. Electrical system maintenance will keep it going for a long time.

Comment

do a complete wiring maintanance on your bike before you go for any money and if you are one of those folks that are blessed with a regulator that is located under the battery box the tell us and a dozen guys will give you advice on that---a new electrex anything is always good but there are other things to consider first

Comment

Yeah, that's a question I've been meaning to ask myself. I am definitely going to get a can of electrical contact cleaner- I've never dealt with the stuff before- what is it? Where do I get it, and how do I use it? Is it simply some kind of non-greasey, non-buildup spray? This brings up another question- if either reg. and/or stator crap out on me 200 miles from home, can I still bump start it? Will it still run? Will the lights still work? I don't think I'll be packing along the resources to roadside repair that type of thing. :? :?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You can pick up a can of electrical contact cleaner at any Radio Shack or electrical supply store. I have used it in the past and never had any bad results. You'll just want to be careful around some plastic,like gauge covers,etc :x .
          As for when your reg. goes, The trick I used to get to my mechanics was a new set of plugs. 8) When mine failed it fouled the plugs to where it wouldn't start.
          If it were me, I would have to go with spending the extra for the Electrex
          set-up and not risk that failure.
          Doug
          __________________________________________________ ___________
          83 GS1100E, 76 GT250A
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Me myself just went and ordered new r/r and stator just to be on the safe side didn`t want that going on me 100km from home

Comment

cbiegel
              is chinatown in south station or has it dissapeared

Comment

r/r replacement

I just replaced my r/r this week with a new Electrex unit and now have A LOT of juice flowing to my battery and can run a pair of extra driving lights with no noticable drain on my system! My GS850G now starts instantly! The complete job took about two hours and was as simple as can be.
                For the small amount of money it takes to buy the new r/r unit, I would put it in. However, I did purchase my new r/r this spring and waited to put it in this past week when I noticed charging problems.
                Run an extra ground wire from the r/r ground to the battery neg and an extra wire from the r/r red to the battery pos to avoid any voltage loss problems. Terry

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll start with the complete electrical maintenence then do the r/r over the winter.

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                  cbiegel
                  is chinatown in south station or has it dissapeared
                  Chinatown is still right near South Sation. It's still hopping and has taken over a bunch of what used to be the "combat zone." That's what used to be Boston's Red Light district for those not from this area.

Comment

Working...
                  X