VIN NUMBER ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIN NUMBER ID

:P I have a 1980 GS850?, which number/letter of the vin# will tell me what model this is, I think it's a GS850g

Dont think there is any one digit that specifies G verses L.

My Hayes manaul says that frame numbers for 1980 are;

GS850GT are GS850-116014 on

GS850GLT are GS850-7000001 on

That is the frame number that is on the metal tag on the frame neck.
    And do you see a "MFG DATE"? Which is the month and year for the date of manufacture.

But of course there are other ways to detect an G from an L:

G: Fairley flat seat, colored fenders, flater bars, more square tank, front axle at bottom of shocks, "GS850G" on side panels (all characters same size).

L: Stepped seat (2-3 inches), chrome fenders, pullback buckhorn bars, tear dropped tank, leading front axle in front of shocks, "GS850L" on sice panel with the L being a lots larger.

It was difficult, arugh, but I went back, arugh, and deleted my editorial comments about the differernce between the G and the L, arughhhh uh uh, to avoid any arguments as has happend here before.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

VIN NUMBER ID

Most important is on the frame neck if the first 6 digits are GS850G then the frame is for a shaft drive

And if you have a G at the end you have a shaft drive

P.S. Thats a good thing

Comment

vin#

shaft drivw w/stepped seat it's a G,bike didn't have any emblems on the side covers when I got it, THANKS GUYS

Comment

Yes, if its shaft drive then it is a G. Then the question becomes if its a G (called "G") or a GL (called "L")

In post above I was trying to describe differernce between the G and the GL. IF it has the stepped seat and other things listed above then it is a GL.

When you look in parts catalogs there may be another letter appended so then it becomes GT ot GLT where the T designates the the model year 1980. There is a section of this web site that describes these model designations.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

VIN NUMBER ID

One more heads up the GL thing is important when working on the front forks.

The GL forks are different internal seals

Thats the biggest difference I found while restoring my 1980 GS1000G

Comment

Working...
            X