winter report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winter report

Hello everyone, for those of you who remember one of my problems on 1982 gs1100e the Neutral light not coming on, was one of my winter projects. I had three things in mind on the gs 1100; #1 restore the color of the motorcycle (Originaly it was red) painted white. I want it red. #2 on the left fork I saw oil all the time, so I decided I need to replace the seals, I should say the seal replacement was not as hard as many people were making it. #3 finally to find the reason for not having neutral light. I found out I had power all the way to the switch, and than no power, so I replaced the switch and I have neutral light. however my gears does not read right I have not driven the motorcycle yet, I dont know what could it be. does the switch makes a diffrence from year to year?or can it be the wireing? if anybody has had this problem and fixed it I would like to know. Thank you all have a short winter.lol

ard

Ah yes! The old mid-winter report!

Well Shaunt, I can't help with your switch issue, I'm not sure if it varies year to year cause I haven't been into my 83 at all to compare.

But I can give you my mid-winter report! Isn't it funny how you can make a list at the beginning of the winter as to what you want to get done on the bike, but at the end of the winter you have finished a completely differnt list? I have rebuilt the front calipers, rebuilt the front forks with new seals, for oil and progressive springs, re-packed all the bearings in the front and rear wheels, and installed new brake lines. I have gotten in all the gaskets/seals to do the following over the next week, valve clearance adjustment and cam inspection, new exhaust gaskets, all new seals for the cam tensioner, new plugs and new seals for the rear calipers. A major cleaning, new oil and some 89 octane and I'm ready to rip.

Until the next new thing comes up!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

here they are.
      1=white/ yellow stripe
      2=red/ black stripe
      3= green/ blue stripe
      4= yellow/ blue stripe
      5=brown/ red stripe
      6=(when used)(450/550) green
      N=blue

some aplications have the wire/ stripe colors switched but from what I know, it looks like this is the same for all models that have a gear position indicator.

Comment

gear indicator

Jethro, I now you have the same bike I have and you have done work to it, what do you make of the gear indicator beeing incorrect?

PS. are you on the bus to NY shaow with us?
        ard

Comment

Working...
        X