X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

por 15

hey guys

who ever has done the por 15 tank treatment can you anwser this:

i did the marine clean, that went well, i did the metel prep that did good and took all the rust off, then i flushed the tank with hot water like it said, and what i noticed was i was getting a pretty big amout of flash rust, and it grew a little more after i dried the tank. is this a problem? can i just go ahead and add the sealer and not worry about it.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I did one recently with the POR15 tank sealing kit, exactly according to directions...the directions don't mention anything about the flash rust,as long as all initial heavy rust was removed, it was more concerned about the tank being bone dry before applying sealer, I'm sure you read it also....I had very little flash rust...so I just followed the directions.. I let the sealer cure for a good 2 wks. at room temp

Comment

i followed the directions to the t.

i noticed the flash rust would come up right after i rised the tank with hot water, as the hot water would evoporate the rust would show. the tanks was nice and clean no rust at all after i used the metal prep but after i rised it.... maybe a i'll call por 15 agian and double check.
      the tank has been being blown dry for about 12 hours now so it hink it is almost ready.

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
        i followed the directions to the t.

i noticed the flash rust would come up right after i rised the tank with hot water, as the hot water would evoporate the rust would show. the tanks was nice and clean no rust at all after i used the metal prep but after i rised it.... maybe a i'll call por 15 agian and double check.
        the tank has been being blown dry for about 12 hours now so it hink it is almost ready.

-ryan

I'd give it another shot of the metal prep myself, sounds like it didn't get all the rust the 1st time...I saved the metal treatment stuff myself, after I used it, it's a dilution of phosphoric acid, I've used other brands of the same stuff before that I got at the auto store, if you tossed yours try getting some more and re-do the metal prep part, better safe than sorry, that sealer stuff is truly impervious to everything I tried.... to remove some from the filler neck, including aircraft paint stripper

Comment

i am posotive i removed all the rust in the first treatment, but it cam back after the metal got wet after i rinsed it, i fele it will do this again if i re treated it.

-ryan
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

Why not just rinse and repeat? Seriously, do it again but don't do the water part perhaps...

Comment

i called the company agian and reconfirmed that this flash rust is fine and will not effect the sealer, they said "i did it right" so i will be doing the sealer tommorrow morning when i can have a full day to move the tank around and get a good cover.

-ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

FWIW I followed the water rinse immediately with an anhydrous methanol rinse to quickly get rid of the water. I didn't see any flash rust appear. If you wanted you could probably use drier-rite or something similar as long as it didn't have any oils in it.

Comment

there's enough sealer to do 2 tanks...so if you got anything else you need done,get it prepped too... I kicked myself because I didn't have another prepped, didn't need it, but if i knew there was going to be so much left, I would've used it. Let it dry a good long time at room temp before putting gas in it, at least a week...I let mine dry upside down so the there was a large surface area for the sealer to spread out on, you don't want it to settle in the narrow deep parts where it will skin over and take forever to cure, because it's so thick...I rotated it for awhile as it set up to try and get uniform coverage

Comment

Flashrust is OK, it should work fine.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X