Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuilt... now what?

Hey guys-

I just rebuilt the carbs for my gs550. I threw them on and now my bike is freaking out. First of all, the idle is all over the place. The exhaust smells like gas. If you pull on the throttle, the bike dies. I think it is flooding. What should I look at?

Check that the choke is working, check the float level Check the float needles

Comment

Re: carb rebuilt... now what?

Originally posted by TBONE
      Hey guys-

I just rebuilt the carbs for my gs550. I threw them on and now my bike is freaking out. First of all, the idle is all over the place. The exhaust smells like gas. If you pull on the throttle, the bike dies. I think it is flooding. What should I look at?
      Sounds like a bit of crud in one or more of the float needles (under the hinge of the float) allowing a free flow of gas and excessivly rich mixture, it doesn't take alot to stick these babies open, the only saving nature is at least the petcock shuts off when not running (if not in pri)I'd say remove the float needles(all) and clean,be careful not to damage the needles.and only install again after all your cleaning is done.

Comment

Re: carb rebuilt... now what?

Hey guys-

One other thing, you didn't mention the year of the 550 you have or what kind of carburators you have, If you have CV carbs (later models) a common mistake on a rebuild is to forget to put that rubber plug over the idle jet just behind the main jet. make sure these plugs are in place (if you have the CV carbs)

Comment

Man, I cleaned these puppies like new. I just can't seem to get it mixed right. I backed off the mixture screws a bit and now it is more stable. Tomorrow I am taking it to a mechanic to sync and get the mixture perfect. I hope.

A wierd thing: at around 5-7k rpm it feels like it is starving for fuel. Now, I reset my floats but I think I may have overdone it... would this cause fuel starvation when the motor is really pumping?

Jack-- I made sure to put those rubber plugs in... even though I don't understand their purpose.
          Travis

Comment

oops : 1980 gs550

Comment

If they have not been synced yet that could be your problem!

Comment

took her to the mechanic and they tried to sync the darn thing but carbs 1 and 2 would not get along with 3 and 4. They said that maybe the linkage was off or something. They were quite rude, especially when I told them that I rebuilt the carbs. They said, "You're not a mechanic! You probably messed something up. There are a lot of little parts in there!" Of course they are right but damn that *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed me off. So I was charged anyways and now I just wish that I bought the tool to do it myself.

Anyways... now I got to figure this out. Any suggestions?
                Travis :roll:

Comment

1 and 2 dont get along with 3 and 4?? Maybe the linkage or SOMETHING is off??? LOL Thats about the sorriest excuse I have heard lately. If they cant adjust a linkage and synch a set of carbs, they damn sure arent mechainics either. They probably cant fix it because the GS doesnt have an interface that will plug into their laptop and do their thinking for them.
                  JERKS!!!!

Earl

took her to the mechanic and they tried to sync the darn thing but carbs 1 and 2 would not get along with 3 and 4. They said that maybe the linkage was off or something. They were quite rude, especially when I told them that I rebuilt the carbs. They said, "You're not a mechanic! You probably messed something up. There are a lot of little parts in there!" Of course they are right but damn that *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed me off. So I was charged anyways and now I just wish that I bought the tool to do it myself.

Anyways... now I got to figure this out. Any suggestions?
                  Travis :roll:
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

linkage problem?

Do you have the airbox on? Make sure you have an air box, and a good stock type freshly oiled filter. Make sure also that you have no air leaks before and after the carbs. An intake leak on the head side will make it rev up. On the air box side it will act as you have described.

Get yourself a synchronizing set and do it yourself. If you have the ability to rebuild your carbs you can synch them easy.

Don't doubt yourself on the cleaning. You would know if you broke something or not.

I learned the same way you are and now my bike runs like a top.

Comment

oops : 1980 gs550
                      Does this mean you have CV carbs, as I think this was the year they went to this type for the 550.Don't worry about the shop wondering if you had the gall to try and fix your own carbs, I'm an aircraft mechanic and I work with people who won't attempt to fix their own stuff so keep at it its not rocket science and trust me after you figure it out once its easy

Comment

yep, they are CV carbs.

Earl-- on top of everything-- one of the mechanics even suggested I get a new bike as, "...these old things are money pits." A problem with the carb and the mechanic tells me to just get rid of it. Get rid of the GS? Yeah right. What a jack-daw.

I hunted around for this bike because of its looks and reputation. I did notice that all of their clientele were of the really new and shiny gsxr, r1 crowd. Not really my cup of tea.

Comment

Re: linkage problem?

I've never seen a stock airfilter element on a GS that was not paper. Never oil a paper filter element.

Earl

[quote="cdnoel"]Do you have the airbox on? Make sure you have an air box, and a good stock type freshly oiled filter.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Make sure you have the vacuum fittings on the carbsconnected to each other.
                            There are no left open vacuum fittings on those carbs. There are three fittings. The right and left side are connected. The 3rd fitting is the vacuum petcock line.

Earl

yep, they are CV carbs.

Earl-- on top of everything-- one of the mechanics even suggested I get a new bike as, "...these old things are money pits." A problem with the carb and the mechanic tells me to just get rid of it. Get rid of the GS? Yeah right. What a jack-daw.

I hunted around for this bike because of its looks and reputation. I did notice that all of their clientele were of the really new and shiny gsxr, r1 crowd. Not really my cup of tea.

Comment

Re: linkage problem?

Originally posted by earlfor
                              I've never seen a stock airfilter element on a GS that was not paper. Never oil a paper filter element.

Earl
                              Tap tap tap... Earl I thought you had a 450.... My manual says Oiled foam air filter, and I am pretty certain my E still has the original filter in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X