JB WELDed stator cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JB WELDed stator cover

While the search is on for a new '83 GS750ESD stator cover, I have repaired the old one. It suffered some hairline cracks in a minor accident. I JB Welded the cracks and let it sit for a week, then sanded it flush. Now, I'd like to paint it. I've heard that aluminum doesn't like paint. Is this true? Should I use an engine block paint?
    BTW I've got to go the spray can route. I'd rather pay for a decent cover than for a paint job.

Scuff it up with some sandpaper then use primer before you paint. It will scratch off easier than it would on steel, but it will work until you find one! By the way, I put the word out on this forum that I needed a stator cover and within a week I had one mounted up, ready to go!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sikkens makes a self-etching primer that is a two part paint. It sticks like crazy then you can topcoat it with any paint you want to. You have to go to an automotive paint shop for it. Works well on any aluminum part.

Comment

I am pretty sure you could find one new.

I am pretty sure you could find one new. But I am pulling up ebay right now to take a look as well. No luck tonight sorry. Find someone on ebay with parts for your bike and e-mail them asking if they have the cover. Chances are they might. I have found people with other parts this way.

Comment

FYI, most modern automotive paints utilize a self-etching primer in order to get them to stick. So if you can find a automotive parts place that sells Dupont, PPG or Sikkens, they'll be able to get you what you need. Be warned that most of these primers are 2 part mixes, can be a tad nasty healthwise if you aren't careful and aren't cheap. Be sure to use them in a well ventilated area. Like outside.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Working...
          X