timing advancer unit for a 1980 550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing advancer unit for a 1980 550e

I need this part to make my bike run again... The part is no longer made, does anyone know where I can find one ????

you need to find one from a 80-81 GS 550/650/750/1000 I believe they are all the same Starting in 83 some of the bikes had the timing controled by the ign module. Is yours missing or broken

Comment

you are needing the mechanical advance unit found under the right side timing cover??
      if so, I may be able to get it for you, I think there is one at the motorcycle retirment home near me.

Comment

I talked with Hispl and he said that the advance curves were different for the different years.. Is that true. If they are compatable he has an 81 750 engine dead in his garage that I could steal one from. To answer your question leon... under the right side cover I replaced the ignitor with a dyna s... but on the advancer there is two magnets/ weights those weights has the little teeth on them... and one of my teeth is broken on one of the weights....

Comment

I'm sorry his dead 750 is an 82

Comment

The piece that is broken does it look like this,send PM & i will send it
            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAvA8UUK9ZgEdAFNix9GdWx1gLK2Q1aA6SNRdbiw6nTDh0mC rkJGmpn32lNJzKX1ql!!Fdf1Upmr0cyt!Q*xtS96oxfmHp2OB7 CoffPWg8/jan20%5E49.jpg[/img]

Comment

Thats the piece!!! it is the little tooth that is broken off

Comment

leon... thanks for your concern but SqDancerLynn1
                was kind enough to give me the part , which by the way is going to allow me to go on the hill country ride.
                thanks man
                Ryan

Comment

Hello Ryan, I look into your compatibility concern and you can use weights from only 550's and only from 80-82, prior to 80 they used points and had a different advance unit and in 83 the engine was completely re-designed.

Comment

I will agree with you the points & elect ign use a different advance mech BUT the weights are the same

Comment

Working...
                    X