Front brake switch -77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake switch -77 GS750

I searched this in the forums and i could not find anything, sorry if it's a redundent question.

I just picked up my first GS750, 1977. Among cleaning the carbs and bleeding the brakes and replacing the awful chopper bars on it:

I also noticed that my front brake switch is out. I took it apart and of course there was rust and some corrision. I cleaned it up and lightly sanded the contacts and the electrics work fine. I can get the light to come on with a little metal bridge on the contact. but........ this is where it's not working. There's a little piece of plastic that protudes up into the front brake lever and then down into the switch. It appears there is then a tiny spring that is sticking out of the bottom of this plastic piece that creates not only the tension to push this piece up into the lever but ALSO is the metal that slides forward to create the contact bridge to make the light come on. My spring was badly rusted and broken. I have gotten a new spring around the same size and will fit it but it's not really working. Very inconsistent. Is there another peice in this unit that i'm missing? Could it have fallen out many moons ago or rusted away?

Anybody else ever replace this thing?

Thanks guys,

Craig

Craig, youre not missing any pieces. I have never found a soitable replacement for that little spring once the original rusts. Unless the fit is near perfect, the switch will not work reliably. They are still available at your local dealer or bike bandit or most any other online cycle supply. They are less than $10 new from your local dealer. Also, the plastic track where the little U shaped metal slide moves, wears and it goes bye bye then too. :-)

For future ease of installation, loosent the pinch bolt on your handlebars that holds the brake assembly to the bars. (brake light switch is underneath).
    Rotate the brake assembly 180 deg. That way you can replace the little parts in the brake light switch from a rightside up vantage point and you wont drop the little spring or need 12 hands while trying to stand on your head. :-)

Uhh, dont forget to rotate the barke assembly back 180 deg when finished. Otherwise, the brake lever will be on the wrong side of the bars and you will need to sit on the front fender facing backwardsto ride the bike. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Many have gone to this. Me included.

Comment

Thanks for the help

That dennis kirk thing looks like the best option. I cheked bike bandit for the stock replacement. They want 25 for it now. Yikes.

C

Comment

You can still get an aftermarket replacement at CycleRecycle in Indianapolis.

Looks like about $8.95

You can also get a hydraulic switch that taps into the brake line itself. I've heard they are more reliable. Dennis Kirk has them for around $20.

good luck
          -Jon
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
          X