Will eBay Crank Fit My GS1100GLZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will eBay Crank Fit My GS1100GLZ?

The engine was knocking in my 1100GLZ so I bought another bike an am using the engine from it. That leaves me with an engine that's in pretty good shape (except for the knock). I'm thinking of getting it going again, as I have time and money to work on it. There'a a welded crank for sale on eBay. Does anyone know if it will fit in a GS1100GLZ engine? Here's the eBay link:

Nope,, sorry. That crank is for a 16 valve engine, you have an 8 valve engine. They look the same but they aren't the same.

Comment

I have a knock in my gs1000 engine (100,000+ miles) at idle, but it is probably due to the cam chain having worn unevenly. It does not get louder, in fact it quiets down, as revs climb. It may be a little piston slap, but I basically don't worry about it. The crank (like yours) is built on roller bearings and thus they do not behave like plain bearings (knocking when bad). If there is a problem with your motor, it would most likely be in the piston area, such as a worn wrist pin or cracked piston skirt (or that loose cam chain).

Comment

Well, it may not be a rod knock, I don't know for sure. I can tell you this: It is a very loud knock. It is so loud that people half a block away will turn their heads to check out the noise. I don't know if it could be coming from the cam chain. Right now, I have a second engine just about ready to put in the bike. When I get the old engine out, I'll see if I can figure out what is causing the knock. It would be great if it isn't the crank, but I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Working...
        X