exhaust port/header flange dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust port/header flange dimensions?

I apologize in advance, cause I know that this topic has been beaten into the ground, but....
    I am toying with the idea of an oil cooled GSXR ( or maybe Bandit 1200)
    exhaust system on my 83 GS110E. I kind of like the upswept , high exahust canister look, ( plus it should be reasonably cheap, an interesting project and open up the slipon possibilities later)
    Anyway, after extensive searching, I have found that the bolt spacing is slightly different ( mine measures approx 65 mm and per Swanny's post the GSXR is approx 59 mm, sound about right?) I think I can deal with that. But I also understand that ( Per Billy Ricks and swanny's posts) that the flange port diameter and possibly depth changed as well, but I cannot
    find any hard dimensions to assess the project before I invest money in it.
    If it is feasable I kind of like Swanny's idea of fabricating a spacer for the port/flange and the slotting the collars towards the center slightly , using a small piece of steel or aluminum rod cut in half in the outer part of the slot as a spacer.

Any thoughts?

Dude, if you get this to work, you must document everything.

9 days out of 10 I am convinced that my 83 1100E is the finest bike ever and that I'll keep it forever. That one day I feel different is usually one where I contemplate the exhaust. If I could have a good pick of quality, high end, performance exhausts, I would never lust after another bike. As it is, we have Vance & Hines- that's about it.

Why not keep a close eye on e-bay and try one out? You know that if someone is bidding against you then there is always someone out there to sell it to.

Your attaching idea I am having trouble following. Wouldn't it be easier to go to an exhaust shop and have them weld on larger flange mounts to match the exhaust ports?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hey Jethro,
      If I can get te project started, I will take pics and document it all.
      Actually, ebay is where I am currently hunting for a system to modify, however with my current financial environment and I am already working on a 1150 fairing and clip ons ( ahhh waiting for UPS!), I need todo this right the first time.
      The idea to weld on new flanges is a possibility, but I want to see what the actual difference in size is first. I would prefer to figure out a way I can do the work without paying someone else. Plus, I have not fouund a local shop that does welding that is clean enough yet. (And my MIG skills are schetchy at best, strong , but kinda ugly)
      I agree about about my 1100E though, I wanted one in 83, and and loving my "new" bike now.

thanks,
      Derrick

Comment

I agree about about my 1100E though, I wanted one in 83, and and loving my "new" bike now.
        In 83 I was 12. 8O 8O
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hey..... I was only 18 myself, and dreaming of a big muscle bike. Ended up getting a Nighthawk 650, not quite an 1100, but a good bike none the less, loved the hydralic lifters , no adjusting....

Back to the thread, there has to be someone out there that has a couple of spare headers they could measure in the garage, in the attic , or under the bed?

Comment

What measurements are you looking for? I have a spare header for my 82GS1100E.

If you need some GSXR info try here they have been helpful to me in the past.

A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Hey Pano, I appreciate the post
              what I need is the outside diameter of the header flange where it meets the head and the depth of the flange, so that I can fabricate a spacer/adapter if needed to mount a later model Suzuki exhaust.

On which I took a chance 8O , I just purchased a used Yosh exhaust system on Ebay for a 91 GSX1100 F Katana, base on refeence from old posts about similar port diameer and header tube spacing of the air and oil cooled GSXRs and katana's.
              Plus i figure if it is not workable, I can put it back on Ebay.

Comment

Ok, I'll help since I'm interested. Outside width of header flange is 44mm. Depth of flange is 30mm. These measurements are off my V&H header, the Mac has about a 5mm deeper flange on the exhasut header. The depth of the exhaust port on the head is about 36mm from the gasket surface to the fins on the cylinders.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

OK...sorry for the delay

This is from a Yosh header i bought in 1985 or so.

I measured using (inch) calipers and converted to metric.

Depth from where pipe interfaces with head to the face of the flange is 1.369" (34.8mm)

Outside diameter of the pipe 1.631" (41.4mm)

The edge of the pipe where it interfaces with the head has a ridge that is a little wider than the od of the pipe. It measures at 1.678" (42.6mm) and the length of the edge is .058" (1.5mm). The shape of the edge is rounded but that may be from going on and off for 15 years before I put the new one on.

If you are not in a huge hurry I could post a pic. I could do it this weekend sometime
                  1982 GS1000S Katana
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Jethro, Pano,
                    thanks for the interest and help.
                    I should get the Yosh system from ebay in a few days, I will post the measurements and document the project as it progresses.

Derrick

Comment

I have a pic but I havent posted a pic in a year don't have time to figure it out right now. I can send it to you if you send me an email.
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Pics would be great,
                        my email is premed2er@aol.com

thanks

Comment

I sent it out. I hope it is not too big.
                          1982 GS1000S Katana
                          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Stainless Header?

Yes, I know V&H and MAC are all there are for the GS850. Since I have already pried one rusty V&H header off my trusty steed, does anyone have any info on going stainless? I would even consider DIY-ing it if I could find a pipe supplier.

Vince

Comment

Vince.
                              I do not know about the 850 ( actually, i am not sure about my 1100 yet). But when the 91 GSX1100F yosh system arrives, I will post the entire project with dimensions and sources.

Derrick

Comment

Working...
                              X