Slipping clutch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipping clutch??

Unfortunately, I think I know the answer to my own query, but just need to verify-

There was some suspicion that my higher than usual RPMs to speed ratio meant my clutch was slipping....

Today i tried testing it as described in the CLymer- try to pull away from a stop in 2nd... Well it felt just like 1st, no lugging at all. if i wasnt looking at the indicator, i would have thought i was in 1st.

This is an indication of a slipping clutch, correct?

Re: Slipping clutch??

Yepper, I do believe your clutch is slipping. Most likely worn clutch plates. I assume you have checked the adjuster on the engine case to make sure it isnt hanging up and not allowing the clutch to be engaged fully. You should also have slack in your cable
    The clutch cable should not pull the clutch lever down tight in its housing (on the handlebars). There should be a loose gap. Even so, you still should check to make sure the adjuster on the eng case is not hung up as
    if it was catching so as to inhibit full engagement, you could still have a clutch lever with free play and mistakenly believe you had engagement.

Earl

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
    Unfortunately, I think I know the answer to my own query, but just need to verify-

There was some suspicion that my higher than usual RPMs to speed ratio meant my clutch was slipping....

Today i tried testing it as described in the CLymer- try to pull away from a stop in 2nd... Well it felt just like 1st, no lugging at all. if i wasnt looking at the indicator, i would have thought i was in 1st.

This is an indication of a slipping clutch, correct?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have had the same problem for a year now. I have tried all the adjustments, all the oils, all everything,doesn't get better.

I finally had to realize that I was in for some cash departure and to budget in for some clutch plates and springs next year!!

Hope you have better outcome than I.

Michael :P

Comment

What you need to do first is make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly.
        you should have a 1/8th inch play in the cable at the lever (page 98 in the clymer manual). also make sure free play is present at the clutch lever on the engine. A bad clutch cable can keep a clutch from relesing but you will have free play at the lever.
        once you have confirmed the clutch cable is adjusted properly take it for a ride and wile riding slow down in third gear till the rpm's are around 1000 then give it full throttle, pay close attention to the sounds the engine is making as the speed increses the rpm's should increase at a progresive rate.
        if the rpm's sudenly rise faster than the speed (usualy happens at between 3000 to 6000 rpm in the biggest part of the tourque band) the clutch is definatly slipping and will need replacement.

this test should only be done on a clear open straight road with little to no traffic. (prefitably no traffic)

Comment

focus
          In the last 2 years, i have gone crazy trying to adjust my clutch by the book-now i use a sloppy method --i leave some play in the clutch lever and if it is all gone when the engine it hot then i allow a tad more--High tech eh--yet it works for me.. soon i will need some new fibre disks and will see wha happens but i even had a tough time when this set of disks was in great shape

Comment

Working...
          X