GS 1000 Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 Transmission

I own a 1979 GS1000, I purchased it last spring and have ridden it all summer. I knew that there was a problem with fourth when I bought it, and decided to ride the bike and if it survived the summer I would look into fixing fourth gear. The bike goes into fourth, stays in, and pulls; however there is a noticable clicking, I just didn't use fourth gear. But now I have decided to repair this problem. I have gotten diagnosis from bent shifting forks, to missing/broke gear, some have said to crack the case, others say that that would not be necessary.

I am not a mechanic, but do have mechanical abilites, change oil, fix lawnmowers, I do have a Haynes manual, and am purchasing a Clymers, I have been told that Clymers does not have a manual for the 1000, but the manual for 850 to 1100 will suffice, just ignore the shaft drive stuff.

Question? Can this be fixed without cracking the case, or will I have to tear this apart to determine the problem? The term (cracking the case) gives me pause, but I am willing to tackel it if need be. How many hours or days am I looking at? What kind of costs am I looking at?

I have a garage, with a salamander heater, fair selection of tools, and access to a torque wrench, and when things don't work I have even been known to go back and read the manual....

While I'm at it, the bike is cold natured, takes a while to warm up, runs really good when warmed up though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

You have to split the cases to do anything with the tranny. If the gear needs replacing, you'll most likely need to have a machine shop do it- it's pressed on the shaft ($50 + parts?). It's also pretty much a good idea to hone or possibly rebore your cylinders as that will ensure the engine lasts some time (maybe $250+?). Add a gasket set ($90?) and some tools to make the job easier (ring compressor, etc.) and you should be all set. Make sure your head is allright also.

I'd estimate that I would need a full 8 hours of my own labor, and I probably only have slightly more experience than you.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

3hrs should have the motor upside down and split open.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy
        3hrs should have the motor upside down and split open.
        Yea you don't have to remove the top end Just turn the motor upside down I WOULD replace the cam chain anytime the cases get split

Comment

I have managed to replace the shift forks from beneath the motor without splitting the cases, but it was very difficult and I couldn't imagine trying to do it with the motor in the frame. Any gear work will require removing the bottom case half; a thorough inspection requires removing the transmission shafts from the cases as well. Cam chain replacement will require complete disassembly of the top end as well as the bottom end of the motor. Good luck.

Comment

GS 1000 Transmission

According to the manual I need to pull the clutch out, points out, stator out. That's a lot of stuff, of course getting it out isn't too bad, the hard part is going to be getting it all back in.

I was also advised to leave the top end in, and will concentrate on doing
            one job at a time.

Thanx, any other hints? I'll be back on to check sometime tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X