Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWBIE HAS A QUICK CARB REBUILD QUESTION (1981 GS450L)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWBIE HAS A QUICK CARB REBUILD QUESTION (1981 GS450L)

First off this site RULES and so do its members...I have a 81 GS450L which was sitting for just under 3 years in my aunt's garage, got it to run, but has a problem staying at constant idle when warmed and in neutral and often pukes out, adjusted throttle screw each way to no avail, thought i would clean the carbs but was concerned when i saw that 'Dennis Kirk' only had rebuild kits for 81 GS550L, CAN I USE THIS REBUILD KIT? My bike uses twin mikuni BS 34 Carbs...i'm not sure if the GS550L uses the same...Also would anyone know where i could tappet shims? i think i need to adjust my valve clearance i get a profound banging during acceleration......thanx for your time........

Not sure if you can use the rebuild kit from the 550, someone here should have the carb specs from both those models, basically you just need to make sure the jets are the same.

As for the valve shims, a Suzuki dealer should have them or can definitely get them.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just re-read your post- a banging on acceleration probably isn't the valves, you'd hear them while playing with the throttle in neutral. Could be any number of things, here is what I would check in the order I would check them:

Chain tension, stretch and sprocket wear
      Clutch issues
      Cam chain tensioner
      Starter clutch bolts and starter gear
      Transmission (ugggh)
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: NEWBIE HAS A QUICK CARB REBUILD QUESTION (1981 GS450L)

Originally posted by DUMAH
        First off this site RULES and so do its members...I have a 81 GS450L which was sitting for just under 3 years in my aunt's garage, got it to run, but has a problem staying at constant idle when warmed and in neutral and often pukes out, adjusted throttle screw each way to no avail, thought i would clean the carbs but was concerned when i saw that 'Dennis Kirk' only had rebuild kits for 81 GS550L, CAN I USE THIS REBUILD KIT? My bike uses twin mikuni BS 34 Carbs...i'm not sure if the GS550L uses the same...Also would anyone know where i could tappet shims? i think i need to adjust my valve clearance i get a profound banging during acceleration......thanx for your time........
        The 550 is a 4 cyl/4 carb bike. If you can use it (I never checked what size carbs the 550 has) then you'll have enough for the next time too .

You might be able to tear them down, dip them and blow them out with compressed air without a kit. When I did that all I needed were O-Rings (I got mine at a dealer for a few bux a pop). It could be that you need a complete rebuild, but it might not hurt to try tearing them down and dipping them first. Once inside you may find you need a complete rebuild, but you'll have to open them either way. If you soak the bowls in carb cleaner real good (upsidedown) you might be able to get them off without needing new gaskets.

Comment

Awesome Thanx........ THE Best Forum!!!!!!!!!

You guys are the best thanx for the quick responses and suggestions...This the Best forum......

Comment

If you have BS 34 carbs then you probably have the same carbs that I do on my '82 GS1100E, only 2 instead of 4. If you can't find a rebuild kit for your bike get one for an 1100E and you'll have spare parts left over for another rebuild.

Comment

Working...
            X