Suspension upgrade questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension upgrade questions.

I have a 1980 GS850GL and I'd like to replace the rear shocks. I'm looking to buy from Progressive either the 412 series (sold with the springs installed) or the 12 series with separately purchased springs. Progressive states that the shocks have the same internal components. Why would I choose one or the other; aren't they essentially the same?

Also, any thoughts on buying the more expensive 418 series shocks?

Ive just replaced my rears on my GS750 with an IKON brand progressive, adjustable dampened set

very pleased with the results!

Comment

Originally posted by GS750
      Ive just replaced my rears on my GS750 with an IKON brand progressive, adjustable dampened set

How much do they cost over there if I may ask?

Comment

the Ikons were AU$400

Im extremely pleased with them. I do 99% of my riding solo but they offfer comfort, simple adaptability for 2up riding and adjustable dampening for when im carring a load of either a pillion or just gear.

Comment

The seperat spring allows you to tailor it to your riding, weight 1 or 2 up

Comment

the Ikons were AU$400

Im extremely pleased with them. I do 99% of my riding solo but they offfer comfort, simple adaptability for 2up riding and adjustable dampening for when im carring a load of either a pillion or just gear.
            Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Converted to Euro's they are 243 and in US $ they come to about 340, not bad really. I've had several sets sets on GS'es when they were still called Koni and made in Holland and they were prettty good, the adjustable damping (4-way on my bikes) was handy for finetuning.

Comment

I made a post about this a few weeks ago and we had a good discussion on it.

Comment

how about some pics of these shocks?

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I put new heavy duty progressive springs in my forks and replaced the shocks with the progressive 412's last summer (heavy duty progressive springs.) A dealer in town got me the front springs for $70, the shocks for $160 and the springs for $70. Cost a little more than denis kirk, but I found heavier springs and I dealt locally rather than online. (plus these guys are the only shop that will work on as old a bike as I have if I need them to.) My 82 gs1100L rides like a dream now. Cornering is excellent as is the general drive.

Comment

I second the request for pics....please

Comment

Ok guys, I will try to get some piccies, but they are just shocks and springs you realise, look at the site and you wil see them there.

its 10PM here so if its not raining tomorrow I wil try, if not it will be as soon as the rain stops.

Comment

sorry guys, the rain stopped and I was called away, its now 11Pm but I will try tomorrow to get some piccies, just relaly busy trying to race to get my bike repainted now the rains gone

(its my only transport atm, nearest shops 30Km away) nearest shopping centre 100Km)

Comment

The IKON website is at http://www.ikonsuspension.com/, you will find all the pictures you need there, as well as plenty of specifications, availability for your particular make/year/model.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                          X