speed wobbles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed wobbles?

Ive just done the wheel bearings on my GS750 because the rears were noticably worn.

Ive noticed that I still have a bit of a wobble at about 110Km/h (68Mp/h)

Ive checked and double checked everything, the wheelbearings are fine, the alignment is fine, so the only things I can think of are the swingarom bearings, and the headset bearings.

any ideas>?

Ps: I have posted a few times here asking for the actual bearing numbers for the headset tapered bearing conversion, but nobody seems to know (or want to post) them, and Ive just had the whitneys page and bikebandit page posted for the "conversion".

I dont want to order them from the US and wait, and Ive had big problems getting parts in from overseas lately, so I just want to get numbers and source locally.

Re: speed wobbles?

Originally posted by GS750
    Ive just done the wheel bearings on my GS750 because the rears were noticably worn.

Ive noticed that I still have a bit of a wobble at about 110Km/h (68Mp/h)

Ive checked and double checked everything, the wheelbearings are fine, the alignment is fine, so the only things I can think of are the swingarom bearings, and the headset bearings.

any ideas>?

Ps: I have posted a few times here asking for the actual bearing numbers for the headset tapered bearing conversion, but nobody seems to know (or want to post) them, and Ive just had the whitneys page and bikebandit page posted for the "conversion".

I dont want to order them from the US and wait, and Ive had big problems getting parts in from overseas lately, so I just want to get numbers and source locally.

Check steering head bearing for correct tightness( have they been lubed in the last 10 years or so)You could clean those bearings and relube and tighten per your maint manual, if your bikes old enough to have the individual ball bearing steering head bearings,and you choose to clean and lube be careful as its easy to lose the individual balls as they probly dry, then make the switch to tapered, Back end, put it on the center stand, remove the rear wheel and shocks and check rear swing arm for any looseness or play(no side to side play), you could also clean and lube the swing arm bearings, and check to make sure your wheel and chain are properly adjusted and aligned, by sighting down the chain from the rear sprocket to front sprocket, sometimes the chain tension marks on the swing arm are not 100% perfect.

Comment

Have you checked the tires, wheel balance Also the front springs could be colapsing Try adding a 1" PVC pipe spacer to stiffen it up

Comment

Check your tire pressure if you haven't already and your swingarm bearings and if your rear shocks don't leak oil.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, I will look at all them today.

Ive got the ball bearing headset, and was considering replacing it anywas, this bike is my primary (only) transport.

The tyre pressures are fine, ive sighted the alignment, and also done it with a stringline from teh front to back wheels, and Ive noticed that rear wheel doesnt seem to be able to line up with the front and remain straight along both sides. Ive got brand new IKON rears.

Also I was thinking further to my post last night, and I noticed on my ride home (300Km) that when I was cornering to the left it seems to want to stand up a little but to the right it corners fine.

I also thought about it and the forks seem to be a bit sticky. When I got the bike 14 months back I drained and washed the forks out with methylated spirits as advised by my local bike guru. there is no leaks at all on them but I notice that they seem to stick a little, and when I park it on the side stand then get back on, as soon as I sit down it sort of moves down suddenly if you can picture it. might just be the forks then?

Comment

It could be One way to check is to remove the top cap Their should be some preload on the cap On my 850 they had saged to the point their was no preloadleft & it handeled like Sh%%

Comment

Working...
            X