Damage from falling over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage from falling over

Hello, I have a 82 GS1100E, how much damage can be done to the stator and starter from a bike falling over or being dropped on its left side? Bike tipped over and now I hear some strange noises coming from that area when the clutch is realeased while the bike is in neutral. The bike shifts fine and holds all gears. Thanks

I dropped my bike pretty hard on the stator cover. Put a hole right into it. I assume if anything got dislodged in there you would have lots of noise.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Are you 100% sure that the noise was not there before? If it is a small rattle/whine then the chances are that it is coming from the clutch bearings.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of times I hit a big pothole or something and then start really analizing noises and stuff. That's always a mistake, cause the thing is always noisy.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Seems kinda weird that clutch noise would start up after dropping it on the left side. I'd take the cover off and make sure you didn't break anything free.

Comment

check your handlebars, and clutch lever/cable, I recently had mine blown over in the wind and it bent the bars... could be holding the clutch from fully engaging? does it lag when you really get on it?

if your cover doesn't look dinged badly enough to be bent in, maybe take it off and check it for loose parts? or it could be something altogether separate?!! how's the clutch shift foot lever?

sorry to hear it!

Comment

thanks

Okay I checked the clutch lever and it has no free play. I will adjust and and post the results. Thanks.

Comment

yeah whaen i bought my bike i could tell it took a dip the handle bar grip and footpegs on one side were scrached and the exaust had a big dent and scratches also my shift shaft was warped to crap i had to take it out cut off the end of the shift part and make a identical pieace on a lath from solid steal tube welded it back together works great

Comment

clutch is the problem

Rode bike today, clutch will not disengage or is dragging? Manual is on the way. Can shift bike without clutch.

Comment

Working...
                  X