Carb Dissassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Dissassembly

I'm in the process of dissassembling the carbs on my 81 gs650g. On each of the first three carbs, the needle valve seat screw has been totally covered in brown crud and when I applied even a small amout of force to lossen it it immediately stripped! So far I have had to use ez-outs to get each of the screws out. (At least it's a new skill that I have discovered I noticed that this issue is not noted on the carb rebuild tutorial as a possible probem. Is my experience unusal or have otheres experienced it? If it's common it might be a thing to note to buy 4 new screws before tring to clean carbs. I would have thought that a stainless screw in this spot might have been a good idea? Any thoughts?

Believe it or not, stainless steel actually is not stainless in the fact that it can rust. Have you tried an impact driver? The cheap-o kind that you can buy at Pep Boys for $10? That should get 'em out with no problem and no stripping. Use brass to replace them.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Carb Dissassembly

Originally posted by Dunkin
      I'm in the process of dissassembling the carbs on my 81 gs650g. On each of the first three carbs, the needle valve seat screw has been totally covered in brown crud and when I applied even a small amout of force to lossen it it immediately stripped! So far I have had to use ez-outs to get each of the screws out. (At least it's a new skill that I have discovered I noticed that this issue is not noted on the carb rebuild tutorial as a possible probem. Is my experience unusal or have otheres experienced it? If it's common it might be a thing to note to buy 4 new screws before tring to clean carbs. I would have thought that a stainless screw in this spot might have been a good idea? Any thoughts?
      Yours is not a strange happening,when I rebuilt my 850 carbs, when I first got it, 3 of the main jets snapped off from the needle jet(Also covered in a brown dirt like goo), and I had to use a dremel tool to finish getting the main jets from the needle jets, as I have not seen needle jets for sale anywhere, at least for CV carbs.definately get yourself an impact driver,hammer powered, they work like a champ

Comment

Is your tank rusted inside?

My '81 GS650G tank had some rust and all that fine rust completely clogged the carbs and practically welded everything together. I had someone do the initial cleaning for me and he didn't strip any of the screws, but did mention that he needed the perfect fitting screw driver in order to get lots of the parts out.

Are you planning on using new carb kits? If you don't have them, you can get a set of 4 on eBay for 70.00. I've bought from this guy and he was great.

I just finished rebuilding mine and I can't believe how much better it runs!

Comment

Working...
        X