carb dip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb dip?

I had a gas leak from the carbs on my '81 GS650G and couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I decided to do the whole carb-cleaning series.

I got everything apart and bought some carb/parts dip in the 1 gallon can with the strainer inside (bought in California, so it might be different b/c we have a zillion crazy regulations here on chemicals).

My question is what should the liquid look like?

The solution in the can wasn't at all what I expected; it was rust colored, somewhat oily and kinda viscous (like real light weight motor oil). I was expecting something much more volatile, like the carb cleaner in the spray cans.

I went ahead and dipped the bare carb bodies in it, then all the little metal parts, but it really didn't seem to do *anything*. WD-40 and a toothbrush took off more corrosion in 5 minutes than 30-60min in carb dip did.

i got a 1 gallon can @advane auto.... it was a clear looking liquid..... but really nasty if you got it on your skin

Comment

Berryman's is what I've used, and I'm pretty sure that's what is shown in the pictorial. Your description is pretty accurate. You'll never get the smell off of your hands. It's good stuff, though, when you can find it.

Anyhow, it works great. Follow it up with spray carb cleaner and compressed air, and you should be all set.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

The can mine came in looks very similar to the one in the cleaning series so it sounds like it is the right stuff.

Off to the garage to put them back in and see if it runs!

Comment

I usually let mine soak in the cleaner ovenight, wash with the water hose followed with wash with carb spray

Comment

Dip Cans

One thing to remember - that Berryman's stuff will eat up any and all rubber. So be careful what you leave sitting in the can overnight.

Comment

Working...
            X