Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bike is in Boxes

Well, I am into it now.

I have begun to rehabilitate my GS. I bougth a 1985 GS700 for $300. I futzed with it a little then did some paint work and one day it just refused to start. I decided that if I wanted the the bike to be reliable, which I do, I would have to do it right.

This is what the bike looked like when I picked it up.

This is what the bike looks like now.

"What have I done?!"

It's not all that bad. It's just, sometimes I look over there and get a little panicked. Actually, everything is going fine. I just got the frame back from being sandblasted ($50) and painted ($100).

And I am not so worried about the exhaust bolt I broke off in the head, (at least, not as worried as I am about the hardened extractor I broke off right in after it.

The engine appears to be in good condition and it cleaned up nicely. So did the rear suspension and swingarm.

I doggedly searched BillyRicks' post for info on an exhaust. I bought a 1992 GSXR1100 full system of eBay on a wing and pray that it would even come close to fitting. I can't be sure yet, but it looks like with some minor fabrication of hangers for the silencers, it will fit nicely.

The GS Forum has been a great resource to help me get my bike in order. I still have along way to go though and I am sure I am going to need some more help. Keep me posted and I'll keep you posted.

Re: My Bike is in Boxes

Originally posted by richardhaggarty
    Well, I am into it now.

I have begun to rehabilitate my GS. I bougth a 1985 GS700 for $300. I futzed with it a little then did some paint work and one day it just refused to start. I decided that if I wanted the the bike to be reliable, which I do, I would have to do it right.

This is what the bike looked like when I picked it up.

This is what the bike looks like now.

"What have I done?!"

It's not all that bad. It's just, sometimes I look over there and get a little panicked. Actually, everything is going fine. I just got the frame back from being sandblasted ($50) and painted ($100).

And I am not so worried about the exhaust bolt I broke off in the head, (at least, not as worried as I am about the hardened extractor I broke off right in after it.

The engine appears to be in good condition and it cleaned up nicely. So did the rear suspension and swingarm.

I doggedly searched BillyRicks' post for info on an exhaust. I bought a 1992 GSXR1100 full system of eBay on a wing and pray that it would even come close to fitting. I can't be sure yet, but it looks like with some minor fabrication of hangers for the silencers, it will fit nicely.

The GS Forum has been a great resource to help me get my bike in order. I still have along way to go though and I am sure I am going to need some more help. Keep me posted and I'll keep you posted.
    Cool red paint on the frame, is it powder coat?

Comment

Bike In A Box

Hi Rich - are you the same guy who was nice enough to send me those GBV boots? Small world!

Here's my BIAB;

A question - the steering-lock tab at the top of the headstock - is it welded on so the radii are all concentric? Mine was messed up I think, and I had it powdercoated that way...

Vince

Comment

Jackrp,

I had the frame painted at an auto body shop that does a lot of motorcycle touch-ups and paint jobs.

It is not powder coat. It is just a standard color right out of the book with a metallic finish.

Vince,

I don't remember sending any boots, but I will take the credit for it. Although, I am missing some socks, do you have them? I just assumed the dryer was eating them, but it looks like someone is mailing them out to other GS'ers and using my name.

I don't know what to say about the steering locks question, except that I don't think it is a very precise thing, if one side is a little father than the other I don't think it is a big deal. Unless, I am completely misunderstanding whast you are saying, in which case, nevermind.

Comment

Steering Lock?

What I was asking about is the semicircular sheetmetal tab welded to the very top front of the steering head tube on your frame (it is there so the ignition lock cylinder engages against it when you turn the key to the "lock" position). I wanted to know if yours appeared to be welded on straight and even, or if it looked crooked. Mine is crooked, and I am worried that if it doesn't work I will ruin the powdercoat on my frame.

Comment

Working...
          X