coil or carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil or carb problem

Hello, 82 gs 1100E, bike starts and runs. While i was spaying engine degreaser on engine after warming bike up, I notice that exhaust pipe 1,2 and 4 burned off the degreaser but exhaust pipe 3 did not. I touch the exhaust pipes and 1,2 and 4 were hot to the touch and 3 was warm. I tried to check for a spark from wire #3 and it does not appear to have one, but I will chek later with spark plug removed at night to see better. Any suggestions? Waiting on manual to arrive any day. Thanks in advance.

It's probably not the coil, since that coil fires both #2 and #3 cylinders. Could be the wire or plug to #3, though. If the spark checks out OK, then the #3 carb is suspect.

Comment

can wire be replaced

If the wire is bad can it be replaced with any spark plug wire?

Comment

I would suspect the plug cap or plug The wires are solid core Generally do not break. Unscrew the cap & check the resistance of the cap. The cap should read around 5K ohms

Comment

plug wire

Checked plug wire, wire is fine, will check plug. Thanks

Comment

pulled plugs

Pulled plugs today, #3 was wet, 1,2 and 4 are running rich, I swap the plugs from 4 and 3, to see if the plug is bad. I also removed carbs, will report back results after putting carbs back on.

Comment

If you take off the cap and ground the wire does it give a big blue spark? at least 8 to 10 mm, If so good, cut off a little and put the cap back on after checking resistance and corrosion. Then try with a proven good spark plug if you have good spark.

Comment

Working...
              X