Electrical suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical suggestions

So now that my brake lines and suspention are dialed in and top notch, I was thinking of moving on to the electrics. I really want to make sure this is a reliable and lasting bike. Plus, nothing is gonna get in the way of my NC ride this summer. Even though my 81 seemed fine for years with the stock electrical and ignition system, I am considering dropping some new hardware in the bike. As it is, I rode for 2000 miles this year on what appears to be the stock system in the 83 1100E. I'm pretty sure it is charging and running fine, I'll see if I can run through the stator papers if it ever gets warm enough to roll the bike out of the basement.

What do you gys suggest? Should I go whole hog and get a new stator, ignition, coils, and R/R? I was thinking the ultimate would be Dyna coils and ignition and Electrex gear for the charging system. Am I missing anything? If the bike seems to charge ok now, is it overkill to do this? I am confused about which Dyna system to get, and how much it's gonna cost. I don't know a damn thing about ohms or what not and I can't figure out how to use a multi-meter no matter how much I read the manual it comes with.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Don't spend the money on charging system parts unless you really have a charging system issue. You're looking at about $275 in new parts alone.

I would, however, consider the upgrade to Dyna coils. I've had no luck with original coils and wires due to age, and the Dyna green's I run are great. Hot start is superb.

Coil swap takes maybe 1-2 hours to do.

~Adam

Comment

So then the question is, do I need to do the coils and the ignitor, or can I use my stock ignitor and the green Dyna coils?
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Geoff, Seeing how I've seen how sweeeeet your GS is. 8O 8O :x :x :x ( insert major jealousy here)I would just go with the Electrix system. R/R and stator. Go thru the stator papersand see how you end up. If your spark plug wires aren't that bad and I don't remember them as bad, I wouldn't worry about the coils until they come to be a problem.
        By the way, how is the sledding 8O
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Maybe you could purchase the upgrade parts and take them with you on the trip just in case you have a problem.

I have replaced the rect/reg on my bike with the electrex version. I did this after reading a lot here and then having battery drain problems. Using the staor papers and testing my system my rectifier is working fine but the regulator was shot. I will eventually replace the rectifier.

I also changed to a Dyna S ignition and Dyna coils/plug wires. The coils are pretty straight forward but I needed to make mounting brackets for them to fit under the tank.

I had to call Dyna to get the ignition timing set up correctly but they walked me through it over the phone.

The rect/regulator change fixed my charging issue for sure, my battery always seems to be fully charged.

I can't say I noticed a huge difference with the dyna s and coils but I feel better that I'm not running the 23 year old units
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano
            Maybe you could purchase the upgrade parts and take them with you on the trip just in case you have a problem.

I have replaced the rect/reg on my bike with the electrex version. I did this after reading a lot here and then having battery drain problems. Using the staor papers and testing my system my rectifier is working fine but the regulator was shot. I will eventually replace the rectifier.

I also changed to a Dyna S ignition and Dyna coils/plug wires. The coils are pretty straight forward but I needed to make mounting brackets for them to fit under the tank.

I had to call Dyna to get the ignition timing set up correctly but they walked me through it over the phone.

The rect/regulator change fixed my charging issue for sure, my battery always seems to be fully charged.

I can't say I noticed a huge difference with the dyna s and coils but I feel better that I'm not running the 23 year old units
            Plus you have got to be riding one of the sweetest looking GS'es in New England. That and owning her from the beginning.
            You rock Pano. 8) 8) 8) 8)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

crag antler Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:35 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff, Seeing how I've seen how sweeeeet your GS is.
              You rock Pano.
              Someone's throwing around the compliments! He must want something from us, Pano...
              Currently bikeless

Comment

I don't know if Crag wants anything but I I can't wait until we all can ride this summer.

Just for the record though I got the bike in 1984 with about 4700 miles on it.

I have begun to accumulate some parts to put on for spring I just hope to get to it. I just got a new baby this past week, have a 3 1/3 year old and honey do list a mile long.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

I believe in don't fix it if it ain't broke but I would carry a R/R since they are more likely to fail and can actually be changed on the road. It is a shame that coils are so expensive for bikes, I would like new one's for my 650 but it's not in the budget.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X