Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! GS1000 intake/breather tubes???

Hi guys,
    I just bought some perfect carbs for my GS1000G, the carbs are off a GS1000L,(1981) but look a perfect match, my problem is I cant remember where breather pipes go on!!!
    Confused? OK, My tank and other parts are at the painters! So I am using my Sons ATC 185 gas tank which is sitting on the seat (just to run the bike) I put the gas out line to the inlet between carb #2 & #3.(center)
    The other 2 inlet/breathers (I assume breathers) I left open.
    Now! the small inlet (in the front of carbs) between #4 & #3 I had that blocked off with a perfect fit tube, but I did notice that this inlet/breather is the same size for the second line coming from the GS gas tap, but saying that, this inlet/breather feeds directly into carb #3 (in front of butterfly mechanism)
    OK, well I started it, it doesn't run 100%! but it ran! It wasn't running smoothly and really would'nt idle properly, mainly up/down but I didn't rev the engine past 3000.
    #3 cylinder really wasn't getting all that hot, even changed the plug out, same problem...... more than likely fuel.
    Help me out someone! which is inlet for fuel and which is breather!
    Also the fuel tank (Honda) is freeflow, would this have an effect on this too? I have the manual, but it doesn't tell me which one the breather is or fuel!
    As soon as someone tells me what I am doing wrong I can start it up, BUT, if it's just the single fuel line from the Honda tank, I will just have to wait for my tank to come back from the painters! Sorry this was so long.

Check this thread Phil.

Comment

You beat me to it John.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
        You beat me to it John.
        Well it was great post you did Robin

A pictures worth more than a thousand words 8)

Comment

Carbs

Thanks a lot John, the diagram is a wonderful lesson I will never forget.
          So, with it running rough, is it because the freeflow of the honda tank and not the petcock diaphragm being isolated?
          It's just cylinder #3 that I am having doubts about, (being colder than the other ones) I am worried that when I cranked it about 3 days ago (with #3 diaghram missing out of carb) (impatience on my part) I sprayed a bit of choke cleaner down that carb and got a small "fuel/vapor lock) I'm just hoping I didn't bend a valve from my impatience on waiting for the GS1000L carbs coming

Comment

Working...
          X