83 GS1100E clutch basket question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E clutch basket question...

My clutch is rattlin' like a three legged hound Sh!ttin' out peach seeds.

What other models will interchange with this bike? I want to change the outer basket mostly but would like a matched set from another engine in good shape. I have a spare 750 basket but I'm wondering if it would hold up against the torque of the 1100. How about the 1150? Does it have the same # of teeth? Are all 80-83 1100 baskets the same?

I guess what I really want to know is; Out of the 750, 80-83 1100, or 1150, Which is the best choice?

TIA

Tim

I know the basket and hub from my 81 and 83 1100's are the same.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

1150 has a different number of teeth.

2-valve 750 has straight cut gears.

Comment

Thanks guys....

Looks like 80-83 clutch is the winnah.

Now to find one for cheap...

Comment

I just got an NOS clutch basket for my 750 on eBay for 35 bones.

Doesn't help you any, but it seemed like an excellent opportunity to brag...

Can't you just take your basket in and have the rivets welded?

-Q!

Comment

Can't you just take your basket in and have the rivets welded?
            I'm pretty sure that you have to have them welded before they fail. Once the basket cutouts go south, it's almost impossible to make sure they are true again. Unbalanced= vibration. Vibration= failure!
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I would contact APE about a rebuild Good definately, not cheap

Comment

HEY TIM!!! I just did some numbers chaising and found (acording the alpha-sports parts diagrams) that the 83 GS1100E and 80 GS1000G use the same basket/primary driven gear, it took following the updated part numbers, but acording to it, the 1000/1100's use the same basket.
                it would explain why the late model 1100's have problems with the rivits, it was originaly designed for the two valve 1000 back in 78.
                I have a basket sitting on the shelf and it was not loose from the driven gear, I changed it because the bearing was worn, the basket is still good!!!

(you are not getting out of the spring ride that easy!!!)

Comment

Regarding the APE rebuild, I'm not made of money so I'll just find a used one. Not only that but the Previous lug nut of an owner stuffed 11 fibers and 10 steel plates into this thing and chewed up the outside teeth on the outer basket. :roll: He was trying to drag race it and thought the extra clutch plates would do something for him I guess. The really stupid thing is that the engine is basically stock, so it doesn't need any more than the stock clutch anyway.

I'll definately be at the spring ride. Good clutch or not. I'll just powershift all the time and ride in circles at the red lights... 8)

Comment

I had 10 plates and 11 fibers when I opened my clutch. I consulted the Bike Bandit schematic, it said 9 and 9. This was a post in response to my thread on that:

Dink

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jethro I just checked my Haynes manual ( I also have a model specific genuine) and yes it is supposed to be 10 friction and 11 plain , with a plain plate at either end.
                    Dink
                    Here is the thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?

Don't you have an 83 1100 also?
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Yes, and I found that thread too. I also had looked at bike bandit for the proper number of plates and found 9 and 9. I put that in and took it for a spin only to find a clutch that barely worked. The pressure plate did not squeeze the discs hard enough. :? I then consulted the trusty GSR search feature to find the thread that you just listed. It's amazing the amount of tech info that can be had here... This place is boatloads better than any dealer out there.

Comment

Most of the dealers won't even look at our bikes never mind know anything about them

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                          Yes, and I found that thread too. I also had looked at bike bandit for the proper number of plates and found 9 and 9. I put that in and took it for a spin only to find a clutch that barely worked. The pressure plate did not squeeze the discs hard enough. :? I then consulted the trusty GSR search feature to find the thread that you just listed. It's amazing the amount of tech info that can be had here... This place is boatloads better than any dealer out there.
                          for 1983, Suzuki went to thinner fibers and steels to allow them to get more in as they felt the numbers they had used were not up to the task of lasting very long in the first production bike in the 10's in the quarter mile.

Comment

That's right frenzy. If you have the early model plates, it will take 9 and 9, no matter the year model. If you have the newer, thinner plates, it will take 10 & 11, no matter the year model. I'll try to find the measurements for both.

Comment

Working...
                            X