Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rivet links, how do you know...

Hey All,
    Just replaced the chain on my 83 1100E, with a 530 conversion , DID x-ring chain and rivet masterlink. I used some suggestion from the forum ( as I do not have a link tool) and used a hammer and punch to secure the rivet link.
    My question is : how can I tell if teh rivets are properly secured,I really don't want to spit my chain out on I275 if I can avoid it..

thanks,
    Derrick

Can't help ya, but noticed youre in Tampa. You'll have to hook up with us when we all get together again.

Comment

link

You can only go by how it looks,it should look well penned over the link plate, if you used a large iron bar or heavy sledge hammer to back it up you should be safe , its a 2 man job to get it right, I used a 5 foot 1 1/2" round steel bar when I do mine and have a 2nd person hold the bar while I work on the peening

Comment

thanks Gee-s-is, I tried your ideq with a 5 foot pies of 1 inch rebar and my 3 lb sledge, i think it is ok, but I am working by myself, and you are right, it is a 2 man job.

Dave... defintely keep me in teh loop for the next get together, how many GSers in the Tampa bay area anyway?

thanks, Derrick

Comment

Working...
        X