Engine Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Identification

I found an engine in a scrap heap that I know is from a GS from looking at pictures, but I'm not sure how to tell which size and model.

Basically it is four cylinders and appears to be DOHC. The mufflers were laying beside it and it looked like 3 cylinders went to one exhaust and 1 went to the other.

I am planning to rebuild this engine to put into a go kart. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a model or part number that would help further identify the engine. Also, what are some good sites to order parts from for the rebuild?

On the right side of the engine their should be a machined pad stamped with the engine ID serial #

Comment

that is gonna be one fast cart.

Comment

Yeah, I'm blind.. It's a GS550.

Comment

Before you go to alot of work $$$ Check and make sure the crank is OK
          Take the head off & check TDC for # 1 & 4 should be the same if NOT the crank is twisted. Common on an abused GS550

Comment

when i bought the bike the guy told me he thinks it might be a 78 or 79 but when i ordered parts the guy said its listed from 78 and down or around76 so what tha heck....one coil says 78 on it it looks newer but it doesnt work the other one looks crappy and does...and when i ordered a gasket set for a 78 there was a extra pieace sticking out of the front of the block it still worked but it looked like mayb they make one for all....i no longer have the frame i heard u can identifie it like that the only thing i can find is on the motor it says gs-400 then some numbers....the motors is it awsome shape ...id like to know the year of it

Comment

To tell the displacement, it should be stamped on the left (if it were in the bike), at the base of the cylinder block.
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
              X