Re Brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Brake pads

Do kevlar and carbon brake pads produce less wear on the rotors?? Also will someone tell me something about this compound as far as wearing out and braking are concerned

Kevlar pads are very easy on rotors and don't need to warm up to be effective. They can withstand high heat which makes them fade resistant under repeated hard braking. EBC has their Green Stuff pads that are Kevlar.

Carbon pads can withstand even higher heat than Kevlar pads but are not quite as gentle on the rotors since burned carbon dust ends up being sheered off under braking. They do bed themselves in quickly. In the late '80s and early '90s carbon fiber pads and rotors were the rage on racing circuits. They didn't work well until they got very hot. It was common to see cars and bikes with their rotors glowing red hot under hard braking.

Comment

hi slowpoke,
      What I can tell you after professionally doing brakes for a couple years is this..
      The harder the material the pads are made of, the longer they will last.
      ALSO the more heat they will produce during braking. If your rotors are vented and have not been turned down to the low end of thickness they can take some higher heat without warping but do NOT use sintered pads unless you can prove the bike was setup for them.
      New ceramics, blends, and kevlars say they are for sintered brake systems so I say keep away, too hard of a compound. Thay are harder and may be harder than the rotors and grind them away.

My 83 GS650GD HAS copper impregnated semi-metalic, pads so watch out on the new ceramic, kevlar and metallic, (sintered) pads.
      I cannot find sintered in any of my manuals so I dont think the term was invented yet. So I go with standard pads or semi's

Bob

Comment

I dont like long wearing pads because i prefer long wearing rotors and quicker stopping--I think that soft material is usually better at stopping--somethng like a softer tire is usually better in a drag race or in the rain.

Comment

I'm with you Poke, cheap to replace pads each year than rotors every 2-3
          Stimpy

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy
            I'm with you Poke, cheap to replace pads each year than rotors every 2-3
            Stimpy
            I still didnt find out if china town is still in south station and also if good time charlies is still in business

Comment

Here is a link with info on EBC compounds including disc wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Here is a link with info on EBC compounds including disc wear.

http://www.proven-products.co.uk/pro...ebc_brakes.htm
                Thanks Bill it looks good

Comment

My buddy has the Red EBC pads on his eagle talon. Worked real well on our straight-through road trip to virginia (made it in 10 hours). Not sure of wear yet though (had only put them on the weekend before).

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Working...
                  X