not a motorcycle question but i'm hoping for some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a motorcycle question but i'm hoping for some help

I recently broke the washer nozzle on my girlfriends VW. Its a goofy setup that relys on small plastic clips that can be broken easily if you aren't careful when chipping ice away from the wipers.

Anyway, I looked at the nozzle and its connected to the system by a small rubber hose. The rubber tube is on the nozzle like shrink wrap and its cold out and I don't have access to a garage. This thing looks very tight, it makes me nervous.

Any tips on changing this thing? I was considering parking it close to my apartment and running an extension cord out to the car and using a hair dryer to warm the hose up to make it easier. I was also considering trying some sort of penetrating lubricant but I'm concerned about damaging the rubber and plastic parts.

I know this isn't a motorcycle question but I've seen other folks with car questions answered. I appreciate any input.

It's soft rubber so a hair drier should work fine. Personally I'd just superglue the nozzle to the metal underneath it.

Comment

if it's under the hood, maybe even running temp would be warm enough?

and use a small flathead screwdriver to pry it gently off the nipple from the "inside", don't just pull it off. (ask me how I know :roll: )

Comment

If you can take the whole lot off and put it in some hot water, though the hairdryer will work fine the water method provides a little lubrication too and it will be impossible to overheat it.. CJ

Comment

I can't get the works off unless I take the nozzles off but I did consider taking a pot of hot water out and kinda dunking it in that. I think I'm going to use crisco to lub up the nipple so I can slide it on easier simply because I don't think crisco will damage the rubber/plastic.

Comment

better than my Saturn... the nozzles would shoot off up over the top of the car... and that was in the summer about 4 weeks after I got it.... and not just once three times total, twice on the passenger side and once on the driver side....

god I hate my car.

Comment

Originally posted by joeadams
              I can't get the works off unless I take the nozzles off but I did consider taking a pot of hot water out and kinda dunking it in that. I think I'm going to use crisco to lub up the nipple so I can slide it on easier simply because I don't think crisco will damage the rubber/plastic.
              it won't damage the plastic, but it can cause the rubber to degrade rather quickly, and even moreso if it's under the hood, where it'll be exposed to high amounts of heat (VW's aren't cold-running :P) also, the crisco will more than happily cause a clog in the nozzle (i've fixed tons at work, i'm a tech at a mechanic shop here)

generally, we try to use WD-40, or something similar to make the rubber pliable, and then you can get everything back together with the amount that you put on originally. there is a way out, though-- if the damage is irrepairable, you can always try to locate an aftermarket set..like one of the ridiculous light-up sets or something, available in both chrome and black. more likely than not, you'd even be able to get away with not hooking the lights up

Comment

sv w wipers

Hello If u cant get near a electrical outlet to use a hair dryer use a disposible hot hands heating bag to warm ur hands in cold weather. they work well and use wd 40 or other lubricant as it wil lnot freeze and allow u to remove the rubber tube. then clean it and glue it in place. Good luck.
                Archie

Comment

Working...
                X