Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way around does top camchain guide go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way around does top camchain guide go?

This is driving me mad. When I stripped the top end of the GS 1000 a couple of months ago I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the top chain guide. So I looked at an exploded view of the engine on the CD suzuki manual and it shows that the little arrow on top should point forward and the 2 vertical side strips are at the back, so I assembled it that way. Now I've just looked at the alpha sports website and their online microfiche shows it the other way round( arrow pointing backwards). Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me which way is right or does it matter?

The GS1000 2v that I have The top guide (between the cam sprockets)
    has a rib on it- mounted to the rear of the engine AS to an arrow I would think the direction of rotation

Comment

gulde

arrow points to the cam chain adjuster, back of engine according to my haynes but I dont trust these books that much, bike bandit also shows it facing to the rear

Comment

Now I'm even more confused. I'd also assume an arrow would point toward the rotation as Lynn says, but now the Haynes manual, the alpha sports site and the bike bandit site all show it pointing backwards and the suzuki manual shows it pointing forward. Is there a definitive answer to this, and does it actually matter?

Comment

The rib or side strips go to the rear at least that is the way it is mounted in my spare GS1000 engine I don't think it has ever been apart

Comment

cam chain

if you have a factory manuel I would go with that and what lynn says, we don't know if these sites are all using the drawing out of the haynes manuel, I have a cycle sev publication that has a drawing of a cut away of the engine and shows the same thing lynn describes

Comment

I'll go with that, as it's what the factory manual shows. Good point about the possibility of everyone copying the haynes diagram.Thanks for the help. Had one of those XJ 750's a couple of years back, great motor.

Comment

Working...
              X