Chain Conversion (Again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Conversion (Again)

Yes, I did do the search, but couldn't find all the info. I'm doing the 530 conversion thing to my '82 GS1100EZ and am changing the sprockets to 17 from 15 on the front, and 48 from 42 on the rear. That will change the gear ratio from 2.8 to 2.82. Big whoop.

What I need to know is, are the sprockets the same on the '83 (ED) and the '82 (EZ)? I assume they are. The numbers I have are JTF513-17 for the front, JTR816-48 for the rear, and spacer JTF518B. Also, I need to know chain length. I have seen a few people have done this conversion, but not a lot have said how long the chain has been. If worse comes to worse I'll buy a 120L chain to be safe, but if I can save a few buck with a 110L chain, I'll go with that.

Thanks.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Re: Chain Conversion (Again)

How many links were there in your stock 630 chain?

Earl

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
    Yes, I did do the search, but couldn't find all the info. I'm doing the 530 conversion thing to my '82 GS1100EZ and am changing the sprockets to 17 from 15 on the front, and 48 from 42 on the rear. That will change the gear ratio from 2.8 to 2.82. Big whoop.

What I need to know is, are the sprockets the same on the '83 (ED) and the '82 (EZ)? I assume they are. The numbers I have are JTF513-17 for the front, JTR816-48 for the rear, and spacer JTF518B. Also, I need to know chain length. I have seen a few people have done this conversion, but not a lot have said how long the chain has been. If worse comes to worse I'll buy a 120L chain to be safe, but if I can save a few buck with a 110L chain, I'll go with that.

Thanks.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just did this conversion on my 83 GS1100E (yesterday) and I used the 120 link DID xring chain, ended up cutting approx 5 links off to fit my bike. so figure 115-116 links

Derrick

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        How many links were there in your stock 630 chain?

Earl

Just crawled around on the floor and counted them. 96 links.
        Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

I just did the conversion on my calculator. For those sprockets, you will need 114 links of #530 chain.

I am assuming your rear axle was not all the way forward with 96 links of #630 chain. If it was, add one link of #530 and use 115 links.

Earl

Originally posted by mcycle-nut

Thanks.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

chain

Dude just buy the 120 chain cause if you mess up they wont take the chain back, and a few extra links wont kill your wallet

Comment

how do you break the chain links anyway? hammer and a chainsaw? (WAKKA WAKKA!)

Comment

Just grind it off at the outer link, or use a chain breaker tool.

Comment

I just give it to my wife. She can break ANYTHING is 30 seconds flat.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by m0unds
                  how do you break the chain links anyway?

Comment

For Canadians doing the conversion. If you order through Motovan, they are retarded and have their own numbering system with no cross-reference. A JTR816-48 is Motovan #324-9743, and a JTF513-17 is a 324-9262. 115 links are required for a '82 GS1100EZ. For a spacer I took the stock sprocket apart and used the outer piece after I ground it down. I found the diameter was too big as the chain was riding on it. 8)
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                      Just grind it off at the outer link, or use a chain breaker tool.
                      Yep - that's the way to do it. Don't take a hammer to it. 8O I agree about getting the longer chain.

Comment

I just noticed that the previous owner put a 42 tooth rear sprocket on when he did the 530 conversion. Could this be why it takes forever to break 100? I'm gonna see what he put on the front tonight. He said he kept the original gearing, I thought he meant the same gear ratio, but it seems he meant the exact same number of gear teeth. If it has a 15/42 in a 530, how would the bike react? I'm guessing that he put a 17 on the front, because a 15 tooth 530 sprocket would be garbage real quick.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          I just noticed that the previous owner put a 42 tooth rear sprocket on when he did the 530 conversion. Could this be why it takes forever to break 100? I'm gonna see what he put on the front tonight. He said he kept the original gearing, I thought he meant the same gear ratio, but it seems he meant the exact same number of gear teeth. If it has a 15/42 in a 530, how would the bike react? I'm guessing that he put a 17 on the front, because a 15 tooth 530 sprocket would be garbage real quick.
                          If the former owner used the stock sprocket sizes, (ie number of teeth), the gear ratio would remain the same. The chain size makes no difference. The gear ratio is still 2.8. I went with the bigger sprocket on the front because, like you said, a 15 tooth would be garbage in no time. To compensate for the larger sprocket on the front, I had to go with a larger sprocket on the rear to keep the gear ratio the same. 8)
                          Kevin

Comment

I went with the bigger sprocket on the front because, like you said, a 15 tooth would be garbage in no time.
                            Now, I've gotta ask - why would a 15 tooth 530 sprocket wear any faster than a 15 tooth 630 sprocket? The number of teeth are the same, the load sharing is the same and the chain is bent around the same radius, relative to it's pitch. So what makes you think it will be worse?

Mark

Comment

They say it's becasue the actual sprocket is smaller in size, in other words, the same torque applied to less meat. I don't know if I agree or not, but I'll let you know this summer because it looks like my ft cog is 15T. So the PO was correct, he kept the stock gearing.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X