Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads

Just wondering, I've re-greased my caliper bolts and etc... I've had this bike since Last June. I've replaced the left front pads, but the rights were ok (previous owner screwup).

My question is this: I've noticed that the caliper side pad wears MUCH faster than the outside pad. Has anyone ROTATED pads to increase life of the pads? I don't see why this wouldn't work?
    Edit: I mean rotate the caliper and outside pads on the SAME caliper.

THanks

I'm not really sure but for the sake of the few dollars that a new set costs I think that I would prefer to leave the pads where they have originally bedded in and replace them as a set when the time comes.

Comment

Those pads should wear almost identical to each other. If they don't somethings wrong. I had that situation on a bike I bought and it actually had a draging brake. When the previous owner replaced the pads he did not install the bolts and slide pins correctly. The slide pins have a flat on the flange to keep them from rotating when you loosen the bolt that secures them. There is also a flat on the caliper housing it should mate against. If you just tighten them up without aligning the flats the slide pins will be crooked and they will keep one brake pad from releasing. That is one way you can have one pad wear faster than the other, or if the slide pins or their bores are corroded and do not release will have the same effect.

Comment

THat's interesting. He DID have one caliper binding when I first got it. there was one guide pin that was crooked. I fixed it, but here's the thing. THe 2x guide pins (I'm coming off memory here - so bear with me) are diffirent diameters. I was surprised that only 1 had a flat on it. I assumed that this was to eliminate air lock and allow the pin to float freely with out pressure. The other pin didn't have a flat on it. Also, the pins both install and slide freely. I had thought about grinding a flat on the other as it seemed to have a bit of airlock pressure.
        In other words, they didn't SEEM to locate on a flat. I'll take them off again and double check.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

They should wear approximately evenly, as already stated.

Uneven wear means the caliper is sticking.

Cleaning and even polishing the slides should help.

Since you know one (or more) of them was replaced, try using a micrometer, or even a basic caliper, to measure the diameters, and be sure you have the correct size.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X