Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding rebuilding an engine....HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding rebuilding an engine....HELP!

1: Does rebuilding make an engine "good as new?" If I rebuilt my 1980 GS1100E, would the performance be like it was the day it came out of the showroom?

2: I've been under the impression (probably the wrong one) that rebuilding an engine makes it less reliable afterwards. Any truth to this?

Thanks for the help! I'll check the message boards later today...

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX
    1980 GS1100E with 89,500 miles on it.

1-Rebuilding an engine can, and should, make it as good as new...or even better.

2-Post-rebuild longevity depends a great deal on the quality of the components AND the quality of workmanship that goes into the effort.

3-A factor given far too little consideration is the selection of components that will be used, because in most cases the word "rebuilt" is applied even though work was done to only a few main components, while some or even most original parts were retained.

4-Doing it properly means knowing exactly what you want to achieve, having a plan in advance of opening it, and having the budget to cover whatever proves necessary to meet your objective.

You have to consider paragraphs two, three, and four as inseparable. With that, rebuilding can work well, poorly, or anything in between.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron
      please tell me how much to send you for thr green machine--
      thanks

Comment

Also keep in mind that if you are rebuilding your own motor, and have the skill to do it, a person will take the 'extra care' and steps necessary that a regular shop that does it as a dull boring routine would. If your care about it, spend the cash for quality, proven parts, and assemble it with the utmost care, it will be better than what came out of the factory. A good example is racing cars in stock classes. take an engine straight from the factory and it blows up half way through the race, but take the one that the mechanic meticulously 'went through', and it runs forever and at a much harder rate. hope that helps...

Comment

Ron has a good answer to your question It just depends on how much you plan on spending. You need to figure how much you are going to budget for the rebuild and add 30% are you going to split the cases/ replace the crank, rods, makes a big difference in the cost. even if you just do the top end it can make it run like new again if the bottom end is still sound

Comment

Is it hard to rebuild an engine?

Is rebuilding an engine hard? Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of what a total rebuilding project consists of?

Also, I know that from 0-60, my GS1100 could do somewhere in the 3-4 second range. Not sure what it can do now after 89,500 miles on it. Any ideas on it's expected decline in performance? (i.e. what could one expect after the high mileage...is there THAT much decline in performance?). Just trying to gauge whether or not rebuilding the engine is even worth it.

Appreciate the help!

Rudi
            1980 GS1100E
            89,500 miles

Comment

I only rebilut my GS1000 because I had to..low compression and using oil.

A good rebuilt should be better than factory. new materails and metal technology are a lot better. The key is to make sure whovever does the rebore does a good job..that is crucial! Everything else is just patience

Comment

Re: Is it hard to rebuild an engine?

Originally posted by Rudi
                Is rebuilding an engine hard? Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of what a total rebuilding project consists of?

Also, I know that from 0-60, my GS1100 could do somewhere in the 3-4 second range. Not sure what it can do now after 89,500 miles on it. Any ideas on it's expected decline in performance? (i.e. what could one expect after the high mileage...is there THAT much decline in performance?). Just trying to gauge whether or not rebuilding the engine is even worth it.

Appreciate the help!

Rudi
                1980 GS1100E
                89,500 miles
                Rudi, you obviously have a well-proven engine, and it is common to say that a rebuild is necessary after that amount of driving.

Despite that, a rebuild may not be necessary. There is not enough information given to say whether or not a rebuild is needed, although it may be desireable How you use the engine and how it is lubricated and how it is stored all factor into the wear and life of an engine.

Critical questions:

Does it burn oil? If so, how much?

Is the compression good? Numbers, please.

(Remove ALL plugs before doing the compression test, and hold the throttle OPEN when doing it.)

A little tougher...Do you have any lower end parts banging around, as in bearings gone bad, or going bad? You may want to have a knowledgable mechanic check the bike to answer that one, because various noises come from these engines, but they are not all bad.

What do you want to achieve?

What is your budget?

The engine is heavy. It will require two people to remove and reposition the engine, but other work can be done by one person. Some work not only may, but should, be done by a machine shop.

The answers to the first three questions will give a fair indication of engine condition, and if the answers suggest work is needed, they can also give some idea of the minimum work required.

Note those sneaky words...minimum work required.

After that, go on to the next questions.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                X