PISTONS AND CYLINDER SWAPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PISTONS AND CYLINDER SWAPS

Don't know if anyone will have a definitive answer to this but here goes. I've got a very tired/sick early GS850G (points/kickstart/slide carbs etc) that really needs a rebore 'cause the pistons and rings are RS.
    I can only seem to be able to get aftermarket pistons for my GS1000G, not the 850. As the genuine items are about $240 (AUS) per cyl this makes them out of the question, doesnt even include gaskets/gudgeons/clips etc. Are any available in the states? Will a 1000 barrel bolt onto the 850 cases or will the crankcase openings need enlarging.
    Will a 1000G motor bolt into the 850 frame?
    Thanks for any help U can offer,

Ricky.
    ALWAYS ONE LESS THAN TOO MANY BIKES IN THE SHED.

1980 gs1000g / 1979 gs850g / '03 xjr13 / 03 xr400.

Hi Ricky,
    This question has been asked many times before, and you can find it and the response under the search option.

But hey, in short:
    -The GS850 is a bored out GS750 with added shaft drive.
    -The block and pistons off of a GS 1000 or 1100 will not fit the 850.
    -The GS 1000 and 4-valve GS(x) 1100 motors will fit into your frame without big problems. Normally only the rear mounting plates should be replaced.
    The catch here is the question wether the GS 1000 G motor will fit onto your 850 shaft drive, easiest would be to replace the shaft drive and swingarm too with the one from the 1000 G to cope with ratio differences.

Greeting, Marco.

Comment

I found some

I was able to get 4 pistons (.5 over stock), rings, clips and a complete gasket set from my local suzuki dealer for around $460 US. It was kind of steep, but I couldn't find them anywhere else, Wiseco etc. doesn't make anything for the 850 (that I could find). That's about $115 per cylinder (it will probably end up being more by the time you are done, I kept finding little things that "as long as I'm this far" I decided to fix/replace.

Luke

Comment

hmmm interesting the GS850 is 844cc, wiseco sells a big bore kit for the GS750 that takes it out to 844cc!!! and the kit is $440.19usd

Comment

Re: I found some

Originally posted by lukehan
          I kept finding little things that "as long as I'm this far" I decided to fix/replace.

Luke
          Funny how that works. On my 750 I was just going to replace a bent valve, but I wound up rebuilding the whole bike! 8O
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The 1000G motor is & easy swap if you can find one. Just minor motor mount changes & carb changes. You must use the GS1000 driveshaft- the bolt pattern where it bolts to the engine is different, rear dif is the same

Comment

Have you checked here ???

Comment

pistons

I dont know Lynn them there pistons are made down under, you think they will know witch end to put the ring lands on :P :P

Comment

Yea but he is talking (AUS) $$$

Comment

Oi !, I"ll set my dingo on ya,(Bloody yank's)

Comment

Working...
                    X