clutch basket from gs1000 fit 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch basket from gs1000 fit 1100

Hello, does any know if the clutch basket from a gs1000 fit a gs 1100?

only if the GS1000 is a G or GL, or the rare 82 GS1000S katana, the original GS1000 chain drive bikes have straight cut primary driven gear, while the 1000G and 1100 have bevel cut gear (quieter and stronger) and the basket is not as strong as the one used on the 1000G's and 1100's.
    the 83 1100 basket and gear are the same as the G's and earlier 100 but the hub and pressure plate are different as it uses different thinner plates.

Comment

cool

Yes it came out of a 81gs1000g, I believe, so the pressue plate is different? okay, so can I use the pressure plate from the 82gs1100e along with friction plates?

Comment

Re: cool

Originally posted by tttjump
        Yes it came out of a 81gs1000g, I believe, so the pressue plate is different? okay, so can I use the pressure plate from the 82gs1100e along with friction plates?
        on the 82 1100E you should be able to use the complete clutch from the 81 1000G, it was for the 83 model that Suzuki used differant thinner plates and the hub and presure plate are differant.
        youre 82 1100 uses the exact same plates and number of plates as the 1000G.

you can use the 1000G basket and the rest of the parts from your 82 1100.
        let me guess, your rivits that hold the basket to the gear are worn and loose?? ( not uncommon on the 16 valve 1100)

Comment

makes sense

I dont know yet, waiting on warmer weather to fully check. Would loose rivits make rattling noise and prohibit the clutch from fully disenaging? Is that why some clutch baskets are welded? Are loose rivits a big concern as for coming loose or snapping?
          This site is wonderful. Thanks

Comment

Re: makes sense

I dont know yet, waiting on warmer weather to fully check. Would loose rivits make rattling noise and prohibit the clutch from fully disenaging? Is that why some clutch baskets are welded? Are loose rivits a big concern as for coming loose or snapping?
            This site is wonderful. Thanks
            loose rivets would make a rattling noise and could, if bad enough cause a problem with disengagement.
            this is the reason many people who hot rode the 1100's have them welded, although I don't know how it is done as the basket is aluminum and the gear and backing plate are steel.

rivets coming loose is a somewhat common problem on 1100's that have been raced or ridden hard.
            1000 and 1100G's tend to have easy life's so they are a good source for the clutch basket, the hard part is finding one that is not still on the road.

Comment

how loose is to loose?

okay checked clutch today and found a broken friction plate. I did not remove hub or basket, but basket does have some play in it. I guess I will remove whole thing next warm day and before I put in new friction plate. Anything else to watch out for while I have it apart?

Comment

Re: how loose is to loose?

okay checked clutch today and found a broken friction plate. I did not remove hub or basket, but basket does have some play in it. I guess I will remove whole thing next warm day and before I put in new friction plate. Anything else to watch out for while I have it apart?
                watch the play and notice if just the basket moves, or if both the basket and primary driven gear move.
                also check the hub nut, wear and tear over time sometimes loosen them and you get a wobble and rattle. tighten it up.

Comment

basket moves

Hello, only the basket moves, and the nut for the hub is loose, the hub has some play also, will report more later.

Comment

Working...
                  X