Foam padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foam padding

Hi everyone, does anyone know what is the purpose of the foam pading inside the shifter / gear indicator cover? and what happens if someone removes the foam,

ard

I always assumed it was to reduce noise and take up space without adding much weight. The more space in there you have, the more road gunk will collect in there.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hi Jethro, it is part of my winter project at list on this bike: I took all the covers off of the engine and painted engine black: the aluminum shine was gone and I did like the black better now that I painted the bike dark red as close as the original color. I also got all the decals so I think it will look fine. because of the foam and the stator I could not do good cleaning so I got lots of fish eye in the paint ( in the automotive bodyshop language these are the round circles that you see when you apply paint) so I have lots of those.

ard

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        I always assumed it was to reduce noise and take up space without adding much weight. The more space in there you have, the more road gunk will collect in there.
        Yes. It was to reduce noise. I think the other benefit of collecting less gunk was'nt intended, but it does help.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X