82 gs1100e speedometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100e speedometer question

I have an '82 gs1100e and I've been looking for a speedometer off of an '83, but cannot find one. I want to get rid of the 85mph speedometer for the 140 mph one. I don't know what other speedometers will work with the bike. Does anyone know if a speedometer off another bike, other than an 1100e, will work with my bike?

If your patient they come up on ebay once in a while...thats where I got my 83 speedo. I don't know what else may fit.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

I've been keeping my eye open on ebay. So far I've have seen the complete clusters for sale for about $150. I figured that if I could find out what would work off of other bikes, I would have more options available.

Comment

I was able to score an '83 gauge cluster for my '82 by simply logging onto a bunch of motorcycle salvage yard websites and requesting same. I got a really nice set for $120. It took a total of 7 days between request and receipt. Just use your search engine and plug in "Used Motorcycle Parts". Not that hard.

Comment

Just for comparison I bought one on ebay using "buy it now " for 49.00 plus shipping. It was new old stock with zero miles.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

No doubt a better buy than mine. If you're willing to wait for a deal to come up on eBay you can definitely make a good buy. But sometimes it's loooooooooooong wait.

Comment

You can adapt gauge clusters from newer bike if you want to modify it
              OR wait on ebay

Comment

well, looks like i'm just gonna have to wait for something to pop up on ebay. I'm going to take the lazy mans way out on this one, because it is not an urgent matter.
                Thanks for the help.

Comment

Full cluster at the buy it now price of $75

Comment

Re: 82 gs1100e speedometer question

Originally posted by Dakmatik
                    I have an '82 gs1100e and I've been looking for a speedometer off of an '83, but cannot find one. I want to get rid of the 85mph speedometer for the 140 mph one. I don't know what other speedometers will work with the bike. Does anyone know if a speedometer off another bike, other than an 1100e, will work with my bike?
                    I think that's part of the "charm" of the '82, a speedo that you can peg in 2nd gear :twisted:

Comment

Yeah, I have an 83, but the case for the gauges is a little rough looking. I bought a really nice gauge set off e-bay for about $70 from an 82, I'm almost considering not swapping the 140 speedo and keeping the 85mph unit so I can bury the speedo in 2nd gear!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yeah, gotta love the fact that we can peg the speedometer in 2nd. I always get the best looks out of people when I tell them that. Most people don't know that it only goes up to 85, and think it goes all the ways to 140 or so.

Comment

Jethro Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I have an 83, but the case for the gauges is a little rough looking. I bought a really nice gauge set off e-bay for about $70 from an 82, I'm almost considering not swapping the 140 speedo and keeping the 85mph unit so I can bury the speedo in 2nd gear!
                          Well, I swapped it. Gotta have the 140 speedo for the parking lot crowd.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I removed the peg from my speedo so I can now wrap it around past zero!!

I do just happen to have a cluster for a 83 1100E sitting in my shop collecting dust.
                            unfortunatly the speedo does not read correctly, it shows faster than right speed, the faster the further off.

Comment

Working...
                            X