Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking at buying '83 GS1100G, but has starter-gear problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at buying '83 GS1100G, but has starter-gear problem?

Hi guys, this is my first time posting to the forum. Wow, some awesome knowledge here! The other day I came across a 1983 GS1100G bike that I really fell in love with. The owner is considering selling it, he needs the space in his shop, etc. etc, and from what I can tell it is a very clean, well maintained bike. It does have 49,000 original miles on it, but super clean, no leaks, strong compression. He says it's been stored inside. Now he is in the process of cleaning the carbs and preparing to sell it to me, but today I received an email from him that reads:
    "I did all the carburetor work and reinstalled them. When I went to start the bike, I discovered that a problem ha sarisen with the starter gear
    reduction clutch. The starter motor is just fine, but there is a spring
    and a pawl in the starter clutch that appears to have become dislodged.
    It should be a relatively easy fix if you have the correct puller.
    To be honest, I'm out of time and patience with this bike, and it's in my
    way. I'm just too busy to deal with it."

This guy runs an auto mechanic business, seems to know a lot and seems to be honest and trustworthy. But I didn't anticipate a problem like this coming up. Does anyone have any ideas about what I've just described? Easy, difficult, hard to say?? Now that he has discovered this problem he is asking $400 dollars for it.

Thanks!
    Isaac

super clean? go for it.
    what he described to you is the starter clutch, the starter on these bikes, and most bikes, work by spining a idler gear that spins the starter clutch mounted on the crank shaft.
    the starter clutch uses three spring loaded rollers that lock to the crank when the starter is engaged and turn the crank, but spin freely when the starter is not engaged.
    the starter clutch is mounted to primary starter driven gear and sometimes the three mounting screws work out or break and the starter spins the gear but the clutch is not spun, or one of the springs that push the rollers breaks and the clutch slips.
    the clutch itself is a simple item, the sometimes difficult part is the starter gear and clutch are mounted behind the charging system rotor, the rotor is a tight fit on the end of the crank, and with 83 models it requres a tool that threads onto a flange of the rotor and a bolt in the tool pushes the rotor off.

Comment

Buy it!

Comment

Starter clutches are straightforward to replace. Doing one on a GS1000S meant that I had to improvise a tool to hold the rotor while I removed the bolt holding it onto the end of the crankshaft. Then I used a slide-hammer to pop the rotor off the tapered end of the crankshaft, although I'm sure a puller would also work.

If that's all that appears to be wrong with the machine, and the price is right, get it!

Mike.

Comment

If you are not good at fabricating your own tools, look for tthe remover on e-bay, or at various bike supplier shops, also on the internet.

The seller has been up front and told you of the problem, so he likely knows what is involved in repairing it, and may give you a better price.

49,000 miles is not a bunch on a GS. If the engine is as sound as you say, and all else looks as good....negotiate!
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If the bike looks good otherwise, I would get it. You cant go wrong at that price. The starter clutch is very simple. The special tool you will need to pull the rotor cost $25 and is worth every cent of it. I would not risk trying to use a gear puller or slide hammer to remove anything. New clutch pins and springs are available and inexpensive and the metric mounting bolts are available at any local hardware store. You will also need a new sidecase gasket (about 8 bucks). Go for it, its an easy fix.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It could be as simple as the rotor comming loose or?? If you plan on having the bike for a long time PUT a new starter clutch in the bike then you won't have to worry about it. There are repair kits available for around $25
              GRAB that bike

Comment

starter clutch problem - followup

Thanks everybody who responded to my starter clutch problem. Sorry I did not followup sooner to these posts, I took everyone's advice here and bought the bike....

so I am now the proud owner of a gs11000g motorcycle. YIIPPPEEE!

I did manage to get the rotor pulled off by using a regular pulley puller. Man was that thing stuck on there. It looks like somebody must have beaten on the rotor at one point though because the inside magnet is cracked and loose in some spots. This makes me hesitant to put it back in. After inspecting the ring gear there are clearly flat wear marks where the little rollers make contact, leading me to believe I will probably need a new ring gear as well. All three allen bolts were sheered off when I pulled the outside cover off, probably explaing why the guy I bought the bike from couldn't get it started. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to buying all of these parts new, or if anyone knows where I may look to find them a bit more reasonable?

Okay thanks for reading this long post.

Oh - dancer lynn, what is the repair kit you talk about for $25 bucks?

Comment

starter clutch repair kit $26
                  Best price I could find for complete starter clutch assembly
                  pn 12600-49850
                  www.crotchrocket.com $113.20-- never ordered from them?
                  www.ronayers.com $137.39
                  IF their are grouves in the gear assembly Replace it as a unit, don't repair it

Comment

You could try some high temp epoxie to glue the magnets into place
                    or look for a good used one. They are easy to damage if not removed with the proper tools

Comment

Yeah, the starter clutch is one of the few week points on these bikes. Once you get it squared away though, good for another 49,000 miles!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X