Pingle conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle conversion

83 GS1100 ESD. Doing a Pingle conversion. I need to enlarge the opening, for the stand pipe, in the tank. I first thought of using my dremel, but the thought of sparks and fuel left me not wanting to fry my "marshmellows". Any ideas on how to do this safely. I know that I can drain the tank and let it completly air out so that there are no fumes inside, but I want to ride the bike this summer! Also, has anyone done this to the same bike? Are there any clearance issues? I have gone to 36mm Mikuni smoothbores.

Kind regards...Craig

I have a new pingel on the bench but have not installed it yet. I purchased the petcock and adapter plate and am under the impression it is a direct bolt on fit.

What hole are you enlarging? maybe you need an adapter plate?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Re: Pingle conversion

YOu must have the adapter plate. The pingle threads into the adapter plate and the plate bolts to the bottom of the tank using the original petcock mounting bolt holes. There is no space/clearance problem on the 83 1100.

I use a tapered reamer in an electric drill to enlarge the hole. Go slowly and check for fit after every couple of seconds of reaming. There is no margin for overboring the hole as the adapter plate will not cover the mistake.

Earl

Originally posted by Craig
      83 GS1100 ESD. Doing a Pingle conversion. I need to enlarge the opening, for the stand pipe, in the tank. I first thought of using my dremel, but the thought of sparks and fuel left me not wanting to fry my "marshmellows". Any ideas on how to do this safely. I know that I can drain the tank and let it completly air out so that there are no fumes inside, but I want to ride the bike this summer! Also, has anyone done this to the same bike? Are there any clearance issues? I have gone to 36mm Mikuni smoothbores.

Kind regards...Craig
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I do have the adapter plate. The current "hole" is oblong for the original valve. The pingle requires a round hole. I just don't want to have the whole thing explode from a spark while enlarging the hole!

craig

Comment

Even after a fuel tank has sat for a loooooooong time, there will still be enough residual vapour to cause a nasty ka-boom. I would never go near a fuel tank with any sort of cutting or welding tool; it's just asking for severe injury at the very least.

Mike.

Comment

Explosion would only be a problem if you insist on smoking while standing over the tank or attempt to enlarge the hole with an acetylene torch. :-)
            On a cold day, there are no fumes and you can put a burning match out in gasoline, but just take my word for it on the latter. :-)

I would not use a high speed tool such as a dremel. It turns fast enough to build up heat. 600 rpm or so on a drill with a reamer results in negligable heat and no sparks.

Earl

Originally posted by Craig
            I do have the adapter plate. The current "hole" is oblong for the original valve. The pingle requires a round hole. I just don't want to have the whole thing explode from a spark while enlarging the hole!

craig

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl: I will take your word for it! If you hear a muffeled sound and a mushroom cloud appearing out of the northwest ... things didn't go so well!! 8O

BTW, I have no intentions of using a "cutting torch"!

Craig

Comment

I just checked my parts and the tank. You are correct the Pingel requires a round hole and the tank has a pill capsule shaped slot.

I would follow Earl's suggestion...as I will later this spring.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Use a shop vac that is blowing air nto the tank from the gas fill hole. Let it do that for a day with the tank emptied and the old petcock out. Then let it run while you are enlargening the hole. For extra saftey if you want, use a round file and onley use outward strokes. My uncle did it that way and i was watching him. I ocasionally saw a spark being blown outward.

Comment

When I installed my pingle I used a low speed cordless drill with a dremel grinding bit (barrel shaped made of compressed sand or some gritty substance). This bit at low speeds did not generate a single spark. I think I might have let the tank sit overnight uncapped after draining just to be on the safe side. I was more concerned about getting debris in the tank than blowing myself up. It took awhile but eventually worked with no Kaboom.

a rat tail file would probably be the safest way to go - just file only on the out-stroke

Comment

On my '79 1000, I just used a small rat-tailed file to enlarge the hole. I had to remove maybe 1/8" material on two sides. Didn't take long at all. I only filed on the "down" stroke and it was still easy. Just rinse the tank well after.
                      Side note: 6 wraps of teflon tape was perfect on the Pingels valve threads. No leaks and I did'nt have to strain to get the valve tight and still facing out perfectly.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It doesn't matter what the topic...with each post I am always amazed at the response...(dabbing a tear)... that I recieve from all of my online friends. This place is great!!

Comment

Any electric motor used for forced air ventilation of flammable gases should have enclosed brushes. Shop vacs do not. Blowing air with a shop vac will cause evaporation and fumes and the vac's nonsealed brushes will shower more sparks in two seconds that you could with a file all day long.

I would only use a shop vac if the hose was long enough that I could place the vac outside the room I was working in. (yeah, I know the intent is to blow air, not draw.

I know a lot of people have used vacs, and will continue to, but I wouldnt.

Earl

Originally posted by FoolMeTwice
                          Use a shop vac that is blowing air nto the tank from the gas fill hole. Let it do that for a day with the tank emptied and the old petcock out. Then let it run while you are enlargening the hole. For extra saftey if you want, use a round file and onley use outward strokes. My uncle did it that way and i was watching him. I ocasionally saw a spark being blown outward.

Comment

If you have an air compressor you can use an air valve to blow it out. I removed the fuel gauge sensor so I could get a greater volumn of air going through it to clear it out. If you don't have an air compressor, use a shop vacuum, stick the hose on the exhaust of the vacuum and blow through the tank. Let it blow for about 30 minutes. Most single speed vacuums are squirrel cage motors and don't have brushes.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                              If you have an air compressor you can use an air valve to blow it out. I removed the fuel gauge sensor so I could get a greater volumn of air going through it to clear it out. If you don't have an air compressor, use a shop vacuum, stick the hose on the exhaust of the vacuum and blow through the tank. Let it blow for about 30 minutes. Most single speed vacuums are squirrel cage motors and don't have brushes.

Hap
                              Hmm.....Squirrel-powered vacuum. That just might work.

Comment

Working...
                              X