Cracking Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking Cases

I have fianlly arrived at the cracking the case point and am having no luck. I remember another post along this same subject but don't remember who.
    I am working on a 1979 GS 1000, I have removed everything that I can see, except for the bolts holding the oil pressure switch, which I have been told is ok to leave on.

On the clutch I removed everything including two brackets that were straddling the cases internally. Could there be something in there that I need to take out?

How hard are you supposed to hit this case? I am using a rubber mallet, would a dead blow hammer be better? Or is that too much?
    Also where is the best place to hit, are there any areas to avoid, like along edges? Or should you work mainly along the seam?

Thanx

Are you sure you got all the bolts? The factory manual lists 52 screws & bolts
    (not including the 2 screws for the gear shifter switch) Double check everywhere. Are all the screws behind the clutch basket removed? Did you take off the oil pan & get the ones under it? What about the ones under the starter?

Comment

Look inside the oil filter housing for hidden bolts

Comment

same problem

I had the same problem on my 79 gs850. If you are absolutly sure you have everything out that should be, on the front of the engine in the middle and on the back of the engine just off center are two "bolt jacks" (if our cases are similar) Simply get a long bolt and a nut, you should be able to figure out how to arrange them so that when the bolt is tightened it applies pressure to split the cases. Go very slowly and if you really do have everything out it should break the seal and separate the cases.

Luke

Comment

I got the two under the starter, I got the two under the oil pan. I did not remove all the screws in the clutch basket, there were two brackets that straddled the seam where the split will occur, seven screws total. It didn't look like the others being removed would effect the split. Does everything in there have to be removed?

I don't remember any in the oil filter casing but will look there tomorrow.
          I work on the road during the week and can only work the weekends, in between taking care of everything else that gets in the way the bike must take the back burner.

But again, if I do have them all out l what amount of force is needed, I'm afraid to hit the case too hard but want to make sure that I tap it hard enough.

Doghouse

Comment

It should not take alot IF you have to force it something is wrong

Comment

Working...
            X