I did a VERY bad thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a VERY bad thing

i broke one of the pin towers for the float on my #2 mik bs32ss carb (the one with the vent for the petcock). anybody have any ideas expoxy, glue, tig weld? if you have a extra carb floating around i would be willing to buy it from you, i think i could use any of the carb bodies and worst comes to worst drill a new hole in the carb for the petcock vent tube. the carb is from a 81 gs 550 and my email is rjh50@hotmail.com if you want to drop me a letter. thanks
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I have read posts in the past where folks used JB Weld, a two-part epoxy to put that tab back on. My carbs also have one tab broken off but the pin still stays in place.

Comment

doesn't the float sag?

would,'t the float sag from the it's own weight and i have read how even a 1mm of bad float hieght can throw things off very badly. ill look into jb weld thanks
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

Check EBAY - I recently (today) saw a set of carbs (gs550) for sale there, and you may be able to use a body from there...

Comment

Try the JB weld 5 minute type use some wd40 on the float pin so that it does not stick while the epoxie dries, Even if it is temp It will give you a chance to find a spare set to use for parts

Comment

I did the same thing with my '79 xs1100 yamaha...Saved the broken piece and built an overlay with epoxy, using a toothpick for a molding tool. Took a coupla tries to get it to work. It was ok for the next 2 years I owned the bike...

Comment

Broke mine also.

My tab broke cleanly so I used JB Weld Original to glue it back on. So far so good.

Comment

I just found that the same thing had happened to the pin tower on the number four carb. Sombody had put some sort of epoxy on it. I don't think it was JB weld because it wasn't holding very well. Unless the person who put t on didn't prepare the surface correctly.

I was thinking I might be able to get a tiny drill bit and drill a hole in the broken piece and the place it broke. Then cut a tiny nail to fit. JB weld that inplace on the broken piece. Then put JB weld on the body side and put them together. After that build up JB all around it for good measure.

What do ya'll think? Do you think the hole&nail thing is a bit much? Do you think drilling a hole mite crack the body?

Thanks for any feedback

Moonshine550t

Comment

It's cast...probally won't hurt a thing...since you're just trying to beat the devil outa' his due, do whatever you think will provide the best result. 8)

Comment

I found a bit of the hole broken away on one carb of my GS1000G when I had my carbs down for cleaning. There is a repair made with a small piece of brass sheet. It is bent around the pin to hold it in place, and then sits under the screw that holds the needle valve in place. The repair works OK.

Most repairs will probably work OK as the pin does not have to turn in the casting, the float turns on the pin.

Kim

Comment

Float post can be screwed back on

I did the same thing to my #3. The post that the pin head goes into snaped off when I tapped the pin out with a nail set. I took a file and made the broken area flat. Then I cut a new post off of a junk carb and made it the perfect height with a file. I used a drill press to make a hole in the carb to recieve a 1/8 allen head screw. I used a collar on the drill bit to make sure I didn't go too deep and throught the carb body. I then drillled out the new post
                      to recieve the screw. I cut off the head of the screw and threaded the new post down untill the float hinge pin lined up. I had to use the pin off of the junk carb as well becouse when the post snapped the pin also got bent. I highly recomend using a drill press to ensure you get the holes at right angles. I also recomend using a collar to stop the drill bit from going to far. Be careful becouse the collar may slip. At any rate I now have a carb that will never break again. I also recomend trying the scew in the junk carb first. If the screw splits the carb body you will need to go one size up on the drill bit to make sure you dont split the good carb. If you don't have a junk carb you can use the old post. You will just end up with a space. Good luck Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by moonshine550t
                        I just found that the same thing had happened to the pin tower on the number four carb. Sombody had put some sort of epoxy on it. I don't think it was JB weld because it wasn't holding very well. Unless the person who put t on didn't prepare the surface correctly.

I was thinking I might be able to get a tiny drill bit and drill a hole in the broken piece and the place it broke. Then cut a tiny nail to fit. JB weld that inplace on the broken piece. Then put JB weld on the body side and put them together. After that build up JB all around it for good measure.

What do ya'll think? Do you think the hole&nail thing is a bit much? Do you think drilling a hole mite crack the body?

Thanks for any feedback

Moonshine550t
                        I've repaired at least two in that manner and suggested that very repair on this forum in days past. It'll work.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I?m going to give the jb a shot right now, i have no drill press to try the other thing. I also found that using a center punch (the little spring actuated dealie) works really good, getting out the pin without putting to much stress on the pin towers. That whole inertia thing, works great granted the repair shop doesn't stress the pin tower in the first place........
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                          X