Bearings part numbers discovery from the suzuki parts manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearings part numbers discovery from the suzuki parts manual

Ive just been cross referencing the bearings part numbers for my GS750 and discovered somewhat of a trend:

The parts number is say, 08123-63020 which is the part number for the front wheelbearings on my GS750B............

Ok, well the weird thing is that the set of first 4 numbers after teh dash are the bearing numbers for a non genuine bearing.

I also ordered a genuine rear hub carrier bearing, which was part number 08113-63054 which I received a box that contained a bearing stamped NTN 6305, and when I ordered the wheel bearings from ym bearing supplier, he gave me NSK6204, which are listed in the parts manual as suzuki part number 08123-62040 and 08143-62040

see the trend.....

Im not sure if this works for other models, but it definately works on teh GS750!!!

You'll see the measurements in MM in the part numbers for o-rings, too.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
      Hmmm, not too sure how that works, in the parts manual for the GS750B ive got 13246-43010 for the fuel drain screw Oring, its definately not 43mm and im pretty sure that it wouldnt be 10mm

13295-33010 is the mixture screw Oring, and I really dont think it would be 33 or 10mm

the Shift indicator ORING is pn#09280-26003, Im not certain because I havent had it off to check but I dont think it would be 26mm and its definately not 3mm

Or am I just reading something wrong here??

Comment

I have never seen a motorcycle wheel bearing that must be bought from a motorcycle shop. Most are common bearings, and all you need is the base number (6203 like your example) and what the sides look like (rubber on both sides, steel one side, etc. So your 6203 with both sides rubber shielded is 6203-2RS(G).

Buy all mine from my friendly local NAPA, Kaman Bearing, or Brown Bearing in Spokane, WA.

Kenny

Comment

Here are a couple of handy examples of Suzuki part numbers for o-rings and seals with what seems to be a measurement buried in the part number:

09280-06005
          This is an o-ring with 6mm ID
          (GS 850 cam chain tensioner)

09280-21013
          21mm ID

09284-10006
          Oil Seal with 10mm ID and 16mm OD

09280-38004
          38mm ID o-ring
          (GS850 intake boot o-ring)

09280-70001
          70mm ID
          (GS850 cylinder base o-ring)

09280-21004
          ? (Normally pear shaped)
          (GS850 o-ring on rear cylinder studs)

It looks like the first two digits of the second number are usually the ID of the o-ring.

90280 appears to be the prefix for an o-ring, and 90284 the prefix for an oil seal. The thickness or material of the o-ring doesn't seem to be encoded in the part number.

The part number gives a good clue, anyway. As mentioned with a few examples above, you can't substitute looking at the part number for measuring the actual part. As we all know, there's the reality of the part in your hand, and then there's the Suzuki microfiche...

Part numbers from Bike Bandit and the like follow their own scheme -- they don't want you shopping around, so they don't give you Suzuki part numbers until after you've ordered.

With wheel bearings, most shops just have an application chart that show them what to grab from a stock of standard metric ball bearings. You can also take your old bearings (or accurate measurements) to any industrial bearing supply shop and get high-quality inexpensive replacements.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by GS750
            Hmmm, not too sure how that works, in the parts manual for the GS750B ive got 13246-43010 for the fuel drain screw Oring, its definately not 43mm and im pretty sure that it wouldnt be 10mm

13295-33010 is the mixture screw Oring, and I really dont think it would be 33 or 10mm

the Shift indicator ORING is pn#09280-26003, Im not certain because I havent had it off to check but I dont think it would be 26mm and its definately not 3mm

Or am I just reading something wrong here??
            Ok, my apologies to the GS world! Im wrong, you are right! the suzuki Oring part numbers DO contain the Oring measurement. THe first 2 digits of the second set of numbers, as in: the Shift indicator ORING is pn#09280-26003 Well the 26 IS in fact the INSIDE diameter of the Oring!

Today I wwent to my local suzuki outlet and purchased this Oring, just to find out! LoL well it is 26mm across from one side to the other on the INSIDE of the Oring.

Im wrong again, but whats new! LoL

Comment

Thanks for this info. I'm getting new tires soon and when I take them off I want to hit the local bearing place to see about new bearings. Now I know that I'll be in luck.

Did they stock the bearings or did you have to order them?

Comment

Today I wwent to my local suzuki outlet and purchased this Oring, just to find out! LoL well it is 26mm across from one side to the other on the INSIDE of the Oring.
                Wait, wait, wait...

You say you went to a Suzuki shop and they actually had something IN STOCK!!!???? 8O 8O 8O

And that implies they were actually able to look up a part, obtain a part number, locate the part, and all the rest.

Yeah, right! :roll:
                Eat more venison.

Comment

the same methodology also applies to oil seals....you can most always get what you need by using the required dimensions alone... works best somewhere that they don't use a make and model for reference...like a bearing distributor

Comment

Just FYI here. I'm at work and forgot to look up numbers for my bearings in my Factory manual.
                    For kicks and giggles I looked up the schematic on Bike Bandit. It gives dimensions for the bearings.

I called my local bearing supplier and gave him the dimenions and told him they were Motorcycle wheel bearings.

Front. 15x42x13 He gave me P/N 6302
                    Rear. 17x47x14 He gave me P/N 6303

So that's one way to skin the cat.

This bearing company is totally awesome. I've used them a lot since I've been down here. THey are very friendly and go out of their way to help. Hope you all have a similar store near you.

8) 8)

Comment

When I needed a small oil seal for my cam chain tensioner and I didn't want to wait for the Suzuki part, I found this company called Metric Seals, Inc. on the north side of Indianapolis:

Talk about a specialized niche!

And while they only make money as a supplier to industry, they are happy to sell small quantities to individuals and help out people doing repairs and restorations on metric motorcycles and cars. A lot of industrial suppliers refuse to sell to individuals or in small quantities.

Pretty cool, I think.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

FYI on metric seals: the dimensions on all metric seals are on the front surface of the seal. They will usually have some kind of part number but then 3 sets of numbers, ie 32 63 7. That's 32mm bore, 63mm OD, 7mm width. If the seal is large enough to print on they'll have those numbers.

Comment

The part #s for bolts and screws is the same way too. If you ever decide to switch all the fasteners in your carbs the best way to do it is tally up all the different sizes on a microfiche.

Steve

Comment

Wait, wait, wait...

You say you went to a Suzuki shop and they actually had something IN STOCK!!!???? 8O 8O 8O

And that implies they were actually able to look up a part, obtain a part number, locate the part, and all the rest.

Yeah, right! :roll:
                            Note his location, like me he is an Aussie. and our bikeshops have accepted, that not everybody buys a new bike every two years. So yes they do still stock parts for GS series , they acknowledge that older bikes exist, and will order parts for them, that is why I often reply to try your Suzuki dealer, I am just used to being able to get parts, and I find it quite surprising that the US is so "backward" in this regard.
                            Dink

Comment

Working...
                            X