Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Starter Clutch in a GS1000 E

Hi

I treated my self to a new stator from Electrex for my GS1000E, but when I removed the cover I found the the new stater did not fit inside the the rotor that was fitted to my bike.The previous owner has changed it to use a GS850G stator, rotor, cogs and cover. My stators is too big.

I checked the spares that I had been given with the bike and found the GS1000 stator, rotor, cogs, cover etc ( I keep every thing ) the only problem is that the starter clutch on the GS1000 rotor has been broken during removal.

The 850 starter clutch has a slightly larger width than the 1000 one, but the holes match up.

Can I use the 850 starter clutch, with the 1000 rotor

Now this is right up my alley. Firstly, check out my post here in this forum about starter clutches as a couple of responses are full of gems of knowledge on this subject...

I took a starter clutch assembly from a rusty old 750 crank (to put on my 1000), and although I couldnt use the magneto as it was way small for my stator, I did use the clutch and ring gear, which although being a smaller size clutch the needle bearings were of a larger diameter though the cranksize is equal. The holes would have matched up too, though previously I rivetted the thing together in a vain attempt to stop it falling apart. It worked for about 1000k's, didnt fall off, but the rivetts got stretched anyway.. I have started the bike about a dozen times since the retro fit and it works perfectly, engages much softer and actually spins the motor a little slower, which is perfectly livable.

I guess in short, yes you can mix and match the componets, though make sure that bearing sizes are matched to the ringgear you are using as there lies the difference..

My only gripe is the prohibitive prices I was quoted to buy in the US. I paid what I thought was a small fortune of $60.00 for the whole thing locally which really hurt my budget, but new in the US I was quoted around $180, and used $150 from internet sourced parts finders.

My final peice of advise, and you would do well to retain this.. Use loctite or another brand of thread locker on the three allen head bolts, and the main bolt too. I went even further and cut the head down on the bolt and put in a spring washer too.

CJ

Comment

USE loctite sparingly, use the correct grade of bolt 9.9 or 12.9 ?
      DO NOT USE SPLIT WASHERS AS SUGESTED

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        USE loctite sparingly, use the correct grade of bolt 9.9 or 12.9 ?
        DO NOT USE SPLIT WASHERS AS SUGESTED
        Could you tell me why the split washer is a bad idea? The bolt hasn't worked loose and it seems to me to be an extra prevention measure... CJ

Comment

In high stress conditions they break and fall apart

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            In high stress conditions they break and fall apart
            Foul language and exclamation mark. That means the inside of my engine! I've seen a lot, but never a broken split washer, however, I have no reason to doubt you. Thanks for the prompt response. CJ

Comment

Working...
            X