what are pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are pods

are pods the individual K&N air filters that attach to each carb and cost about $7 each. and if so do you have to put an aftermarket carg kit in and re-jet the carbs? also, where can i get a stock carb rebuild kit? where can i get o-rings for the needle and seats? The bike is a 1980 GS750ET.. THe other question is I see emgo has a pair of shorty chrome shocks for $80 this is 1/12 " lower than stock( just what I'm looking for to lower the rear) do I need to lower the front also or can i get away wity just lowering the rear? I also have a pet cock that has a busted up filter sreen. I have removed the screen tube(came out very easy) do these come in the petcock rebuild kit or do i need to get the whole new cock. also what pingle and adapter(part#) would i need to switch to a pingle set-up. dennis kirk dosent seem to list a pingle application for my 1980 GS750ET. and is it true bike will not run right without the airbox, filter box connected. I'm guessing it wont cuz of the excess air flow.

Re: what are pods

Originally posted by kejoscha
    are pods the individual K&N air filters that attach to each carb and cost about $7 each. and if so do you have to put an aftermarket carg kit in and re-jet the carbs? also, where can i get a stock carb rebuild kit? where can i get o-rings for the needle and seats? The bike is a 1980 GS750ET.. THe other question is I see emgo has a pair of shorty chrome shocks for $80 this is 1/12 " lower than stock( just what I'm looking for to lower the rear) do I need to lower the front also or can i get away wity just lowering the rear? I also have a pet cock that has a busted up filter sreen. I have removed the screen tube(came out very easy) do these come in the petcock rebuild kit or do i need to get the whole new cock. also what pingle and adapter(part#) would i need to switch to a pingle set-up. dennis kirk dosent seem to list a pingle application for my 1980 GS750ET. and is it true bike will not run right without the airbox, filter box connected. I'm guessing it wont cuz of the excess air flow.
    So many questions in one post.

1. Pods are simple air cleaners that replace the airbox and all that stuff. They look cool and fast but will require tuning the bike again in most cases. They also get wet in the rain and that is not a good thing so I would be carefull about riding in the rain. Most of these bikes are designed with the airbox in mind, so if you remove all that you may not like the way the bike runs, especially at low speed. I would stick with stock parts and not use the pods.

2. There are lots of sites that sell the gasket kit for the carbs, 12.00 seems to be the going price per carb. This site has a page that tells you how to rebuild them. plan on a complete weekend or two and take your time.
    3. If you lower the rear you will definately change geometry. That may not be a good thing, It will lower the head angle and make the steering a bit more relaxed. Don't toss your old ones until you have tried the new ones out on a winding road, IMHO I would stay with stock.

4. Pingles are pretty expensive, you can rebuild a petcock for a few dollars, the rebuild kits are available on the net as well. I don't know what to do about needing a new "cock", I am pretty happy with mine

5. That airbox is sized and shaped that way for a reason. The airvolume is calculated to feed the bike, the rubber boots are there to act as velocity stacks and are a specific height and shape. You won't get more power just by removing it and putting pods on. I have heard that the KN Pods don't clean the air as good as a foam filter. If you want a faster bike, buy an 1100.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Essentially, pods are spawns of Satan, manufactured in hell and designed to turn a good-running bike into an ill-tempered, unreliable POS.

Look for the "Made in Hades" label on the box.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
        Essentially, pods are spawns of Satan, manufactured in hell and designed to turn a good-running bike into an ill-tempered, unreliable POS.

I was more tactful than robertbarr was about it but yes I would rather eat broken glass than put pods on my GS650G

Comment

Then why does my bike run like it was tuned in heaven!?
          Pods (K&N) and a quality pipe are the most performance for the dollar.
          Granted, you do need knowledge and patience to get things right. The pods only work as well as you re-tune for them. Any problems are the owners fault, not the pods.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE

Granted, you do need knowledge and patience to get things right. The pods only work as well as you re-tune for them. Any problems are the owners fault, not the pods.
            Because an expert named Keith Krause took the time to tune it all, and I know he doesn't ride in the rain, ever! And he also has a very nice 1000 that would run like it was tuned in heaven with just about any air filter on it

Comment

tune

He may not ride it in the rain, but have you ever tried to tune an engine to run right in those smog conditions, High HC and low oxygen

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE

Because an expert named Keith Krause took the time to tune it all, and I know he doesn't ride in the rain, ever! And he also has a very nice 1000 that would run like it was tuned in heaven with just about any air filter on it
                Thanks, but I don't consider myself an expert. I've just had so much trial and error that I have a fair idea of what to do by now. Jetting will always be a challenge.
                That's why I and others at this site try to share our knowledge and help others avoid most of the problems. I wish I had more help years ago when I learned the basics. I still remember how frustrating it can be.
                I think people have problems with re-jetting for pods because they don't really understand how they effect the intake and how you have three seperate jetting circuits that will have to be re-jetted. I also think people try to take short cuts and try to re-jet bikes with dirty carbs, unbalanced carbs, poor ignition spark, poor compression, etc. They don't realize how many other things have a hand in the re-tuning, so they blame the part that started their problems, the pods. Of course, it just complicates matters when the person gets varying kinds of advice and doesn't know who to believe.
                I will say that not every bike that goes to pods/pipe will run perfectly after a good re-jet. There can be some minor annoyances that will just not be eliminated, but the overall performance gains far outweigh the negative things.
                I'll also say that in my experience, only K&N pod filters are truly worth changing to, especially with a quality exhaust. The Emgo's, etc, out there are poor substitutes. Who cares if you save some money? The amount you save won't matter after a short time, especially if you have the bike a long time. These cheaper filters contribute to re-jet problems because they don't flow as well as K&N's and therefore are not truly compatible with quality jet kits such as Dynojet, K&N, and Factory. They run "richer" than K&N's and defeat what these jet kits are designed for. You don't get all the potential out of your pod upgrade and you have additional jetting problems trying to force the jet kit to work with inferior pods. This causes more frustration. Your time is money too.
                Just my experience.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

And with that , if Kejoscha still wants to try changing the airbox out, at least he know what to do and what to expect and what should be done as well.

Consider all that Keith stated and if you still want to go down that road, you may be rewarded with a better running bike, or at least a lot of experience.

Comment

Only dumb luck gets it right the first time. More than likely one will have to change jetting and needle positions a few times. just remember that it is not wise to make the pods mod without a performance exhaust. YEAYEA I know some of you put just pods on and have gotten super performance that was smooth as silk and yack yack yack.

Comment

Working...
                    X