Is my head gasket blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my head gasket blown

After rebuilding my carb and adjusting my valve clearences, I decided to take my GS550ES for a ride today. about 5min in my ride I noticed alot of oil streamin off the front of my bike. I rode it home again put some oil in it and turned it on. I noticed the oil was leaking at a medium rate from below the exhaust pipes in the front and right around the cam chain area. So my only guest is that the head gasket is leaking cause its right below the exhaust ports. Is this going to require an engine tear down.
    thanks

If you just adjusted your valves, and now your leaking oil, I would suspect your Valve cover gasket has went south on you. Common to happen, if not new, replace it, if you installed a new one after the adjustment, a part might have slipped under teh cover when you installed it. If your convinced it is a head gasket, you can do a compression test and that will verify it right off. But from what you describe, it is the VC gasket. When they leak, it can fool you into thinking it is from some uncommon places.

Comment

Try cleaning the engine with some degreaser. When it's clean start it up and look for the source of the leak.

Hopefully it's just the valve cover gasket. That's easy to replace.

Good luck.

Comment

Perhaps you there is a fault in the breather cover gasket?? That is dead centre on the cam-chain.

Also, if the gasket is good , you might need to ensure that it is tightened properly.

Refer to above advice as well, of course.

poot

Comment

That is very true I hope thats all it is. I did reuse the old gasket. I'm not sure how familar you guys are with the GS550ES but could it be leaking oil from the valve cover in between the two cams. I guess about where the 2 and 3 spark plugs are located and then running out the front. Is there a clear channel running between cyls 2 and 3 for air to pass though.
          Thanks for the thoughts most helpful

Comment

Thanks dudes that was my prob all better now

Comment

Working...
            X