Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E Jetting start point- single cone fiter and 4:1 pipe

Hey all,
    Just got my bike back to a ridable state, 1983 1100E, now with single cone filter in place of the stock aibox and Yoshimura 4 into 1 and am looking for a little jetting advice. At least a starting point.
    Anyone else running someting close to this setup that can take some of the trial and error out of my jetting hunt? I donot think that my air filter setup flows as pod, but I am reasonably sure it flows better than stock.

Also, how much do I have to worry about damaging my bike with around town riding, reasonably moderate riding before I get the jetting straghtened out?

Thanks,
    Derrick

same set up

Hello, I have an 82gs 1100e with a V&H 4 into 1, single cone with alter airbox. the mains are 115, and the pilots are 45, I am cleaning the carbs, I purchase the bike recently and do not know if the jets are correct, but I am also looking for help.

Comment

YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE BIKE UNDER LEAN CONDTIONS< BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. holes melted in pistons, over heating. to name some. i would try to get the jetting sorted out but any legth of rideing is to be done. maybe you can get a dynojet kit and use there stg 1 setting. look at motorcyclecarbs.com for jetting tips

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

If your intake set up increases the intake significantly, you'll have to re-jet all three jetting circuits. Main (3/4 throttle and over), needle (just above closed throttle to 3/4 - test at 1/3 throttle), and pilot (idle and overlap effect with needle up to 1/5 throttle - test at 30/40 mph in higher gears - just cruising).
        Test your bike at these throttle positions and check performance and plug reads. Do what the plugs say.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

A single big pod after the plenum chamber will flow plenty! You have to remember that the cylinders take air in succession not all four at once, I bet you can use a Stage III kit and be pretty close with the recommended settings.

Comment

Just got my bike back to a ridable state, 1983 1100E, now with single cone filter in place of the stock aibox and Yoshimura 4 into 1 and am looking for a little jetting advice. At least a starting point.
            Derrick,

I have a single K&N filter and Kerker 4-1 pipe on my 82 1100E. I do not have all of the particulars on the set up (yet, anyways), as I bought the bike this way and the work was done by a local shop for the PO. I have a dyno chart that has a note saying the mains are 132's. So you should likely be in that ball park. I live at 3400ft, which may factor in if you live at seal level, but at least this is a point of reference. As others have noted, you do not want to run it lean. Rich is OK, but lean can cause significant damage if things go wrong.

Mark

Comment

Ok,
              Broke down and ordered a Dynojet kit, lot of money for a few little pieces, but I just could not get the jetting issues even close. I also bought a set of 4 emgo pods, after the fifth time pulling the carbs I could not take wrestlin with the air plenum again.
              When I looked at the parts list for the 1100E kit (there was an 1100G KN kit on ebay, and I was being hopeful, oh well), I did not see a pilot jet, is this not usually needed with pods and a good exhaust when using the stage 3 kit?

Thanks
              Derrick

Comment

According to the directions for the 3133 kit, pilot jets are included and optional. I left the stock ones in when I jetted my bike. The instructions say the supplied pilot jets will lean out the bottom end if the bike starts with out a choke. I need full choke to get mine started.

Here is a link to a pdf for the 80-86 1100 and 1150's kit

Dynojet Jet Kits Whether you run a standard motorcycle, or a tuned sportbike, Dynojet Carburetor Jet Kits can provide you with a simple and affordable solution to all your carburetion problems. Dynojet Jet Kits increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range, while maintaining optimum fuel economy. Each Dynojet Jet Kit includes comprehensive instructions which show step-by-step installation and testing procedures to ensure a perfect setup every time. This is backed by free telephone and Internet support to Dynojet customers. Kit installation and Dynamometer services are available in many parts of the world. Please see the Dynamometer Center Search Page to locate your nearest dyno shop. Read Full Description Jet Kit Types Needle & Needle Jet Caps Many newer bikes have very flat power and fuel delivery curves when used with the stock exhaust and air-box. When aftermarket pipes are used, the power curve is usually not flat. You find the need to lean out for low speed and richen up for top end; or leaner on the top end and richer at the low speed. In order to achieve full function and driveability, Dynojet develops shrouds or cap style nozzles for adjusting the upper or lower top end. They also have an effect similar to fuel injection by breaking up the fuel as it enters the air stream. Fuel Needle The design of the needle is where Dynojet spends most of its R&D time. The needle is designed to give the correct amount of fuel throughout the mid-range and is also designed to allow adjustment from groove 1 to groove 6 with little or no effect below 3000 R.P.M.; then with the correct end dimensions, the needle will have little effect on the main jet regardless of needle position. This isolates all circuits from each other and ensures easy set-up of the midrange and driveability. Main Air Jet This jet allows air into the emulsion tube to mix with fuel being drawn up from the float bowl. It controls the amount of fuel which can be pulled from the float bowl into the venturi. The larger the size of the main air jet, the more air you get and less fuel. The smaller the main air jet, the more fuel you get and less air. Dynojet alters this only to achieve the flattest possible fuel delivery curve. Pilot Circuit This controls 100% of the engine idle and 25% of the transition onto the needle. Dynojet has found that the engine will idle with the standard pilot jet, with or without the air-box and with the slides and needles removed from the carburetors; therefore we never change the pilot jet. Doing so is proof that you are not using the other circuits correctly. Idle and off idle is controlled by the mixture screws and the float level which have the most positive effect below 4000 R.P.M. On some models the pilot air jet is changed to provide optimum fuel economy. Correct balancing of the carburetors also ensures a smooth idle. Main Jet We develop our main jets to correctly serve two functions; static load and dynamic load. The static load is the fuel received through the main jet in the upper gears, where the tachometer is moving very slow. The dynamic fueling portion of the main jet is the amount of fuel received from the jet in the mid-range potion of the power. For example, you have a GSXR1100 G,H with #130 main jets. You then install #125 mains. After running the bike you notice the top end has improved but the mid-range doesn't pull as well. You then install #135 mains and you notice the mid-range is great but the top end is slower. This is a common compromise when using stock main jets and needles. If you install Dy 93 Dealers Orders Dealer Orders "Dealer Orders Dynojet Research Inc. dealers much call in to place an order. Please call us at: 1-800-992-4993 (Toll Free)/Suzuki/GS1100/1986
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

OK, wemt and reread the installaition PDF, they are talking about the pilot air jet , I was refering to the pilot fuel jet that is installed next to the main jet. Does the new needle afect the fuel flow at idle enough to keep it from leaning out?

thanks, ( hoping a jet kit will free my bike from the carport )

Derrick

Comment

Originally posted by DerrickC
                    OK, wemt and reread the installaition PDF, they are talking about the pilot air jet , I was refering to the pilot fuel jet that is installed next to the main jet. Does the new needle afect the fuel flow at idle enough to keep it from leaning out?

thanks, ( hoping a jet kit will free my bike from the carport )

Derrick
                    At idle the main jet circuit is completely closed so no.
                    My kit didn't have pilot jets either and it runs fine, more the nfine really, picked up 12 hp with the pods and Yoshimura pipe.

Comment

Just a word of caution on the neighborhood re-jetting test rides. On a few occasions when I had my jet needle lowered too much I would get no power at all off idle. But as the rpm's rose a little and I opened the throttle a little more, then -WHAM, the power would suddenly come on and it felt like being shot from a cannon. Just give yourself a little room when trying out the new jet settings.

Please let us know what your final jetting specs are. I've been thinking about trying the single cone pod setup. TIA

Comment

Thanks for the help guys,
                        well UPS has hosed me again, I pay for 2 day air and the package gets "delayed" in Jacksonville, so now it will be Monday (I get the special price for 4 day air) before I get my Jet kit. What can possiblly (besides negligence) delay a 10oz package? They will be my absolute last choice for shipping from this point on, the unguarenteed 2nd dar service from the postal service has been more consistant.

Sorry folks, just a little venting
                        I will keep you posted on my Jetting adventure,

Derrick

Comment

Working...
                        X