Carb intake flanges - any tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb intake flanges - any tricks?

I'm trying to install my newly rebuilt carbs (part of a complete engine rebuild, 1977 GS750). I'm having difficulty getting them to fit into the intake flanges--I'm pushing so hard that I'm about to knock the bike off its center stand. I suspect something is amiss...

Do any of you have any tricks for getting these things in? Or have my flanges just lost their elasticity? (That's a question I've never asked before, in any context!)

I guess you're talking about the rubber boots between the carbs and cylinder head... Is so then apply a thin smear of petroleum jelly to the inside surfaces on both ends of the boots so they can rotate slightly and will alow the carbs to slide in. Align the boots as best you can then ease the carbs in.

Dry boots are an exercise in patience. The petroleum jelly makes life a little easier.

Comment

Some folks have suggested using Armor All to loosen up the rubber of the intake boots.

Comment

silicone spray is your best bet, armor all is bad news, it hardens the rubber, and petroleum jelly is real thick and greasy, spray a little silicone lub on there and watch it slide in. maybe a little heat from a hair dryer too won't hurt.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I second the silicon spray. Spray a little bit on a bit of rag and wipe it on. A bit of motor oil also works, but can get on the engine and attract dirt if you use too much.

Anything else either damages the rubber or gets all over. You also don't want something really gooey, or the carbs could pop off when you tighten the clamps.

If the silicon doesn't help, your intake boots may be really hard and ready to crack, if they aren't already.

They should be nice and flexible:

Also, make VERY certain that the intake boots are in the correct positions so everything lines up. Most bikes have distinct left and right boots, marked L and R.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X